cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 reports

John_SD
Whiz

Canon seems to be determined to no longer be an also-ran in the mirrorless camera arena. While increasing numbers of enthusiasts and pros have chosen the mirrorless competition, the company really seems to be stepping it up now and I applaud its efforts.

While all the attention seems to be on the R5 right now, and justifiably so, I look forward to seeing what the lower-priced R6 offers. If the leaks so far prove to be true, then the R6 will share some similarities with the R5, among them IBIS and the 5's continuous shooting speed of 20fps with the electronic shutter and 12fps with the mechanical. But it is the rumored R6 20MP sensor that has captivated the attention of many. There is speculation that it could be the same one used in the 1DX Mark III. Interesting if true, though the EVF and weather sealing will not be up to R5 standards. Interesting times ahead for sure, and I hope that Canon delivers big this time. 

23 REPLIES 23

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

I'll hit BestBuy to hold an R5 when released, but I'm not going backwards in resolution so the R6 is off the table for me.

From my perspective, its going to come down to battery life.  Doesn't mean I'll get one, but that will be one of the top of my list factors affecting my next body purchase.  My 6D2 stil has plenty of life left in her.    

I agree that 20MP seems lackluster by today's standards. But there will be other advantages of the R6, including IBIS, its shooting speed and price, chief among them. I think these factors will appeal to enthusiasts who are taking their first steps into full frame.

For me, I will go with B&H as it has no physical presence in California, thus I won't have to pay sales tax. And my experiences thus far with B&H have been stellar. 

I do agree with you about battery life, though. While we can't expect battery life for mirrorless to equal that of most DSLRs, due to the EVF, it has been improving, and I am hopeful that we can get a minimum of 700 shots out of whatever comes with the R5.  Some mirrorless cameras have batteries with CIPA ratings in the low 300s, which would suck. We shall see. 

I agree with your favorable opinion of B&H, but you may be in for a disappointment. Within the past few months they've started charging me sales tax (for shipments to Massachusetts or Pennsylvania, and I don't think they have a presence in either state).

As for battery life, I really don't think it's an "A" issue. Yes, changing batteries is annoying, but it should take less than 15 seconds if you anticipate it and keep your spare batteries close at hand.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

With B&H, they have a captive "payboo" credit card and they eat the cost of the tax if you use that card.  I use it for all of my B&H orders but do NOT do this if you aren't planning to pay the balance immediately because the interest rates are absurdly high (which is how they can afford to pay the sales tax for you).  I have used this for several large purchases since they changed the policy (several "great white" primes, celestron telescope, accessories) and it is very worthwhile but I keep expecting them to cancel my card since I pay the balance as soon as the charge appears so they are losing money on me 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

The introduction of the PayBoo card at B&H followed closely on the heels of a new federal law that says online vendors must charge customer their state's sales tax on all purchases.  The days of no online sales tax are supposed to be thing of the past.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@shadowsports wrote:

I'll hit BestBuy to hold an R5 when released, but I'm not going backwards in resolution so the R6 is off the table for me.

From my perspective, its going to come down to battery life.  Doesn't mean I'll get one, but that will be one of the top of my list factors affecting my next body purchase.  My 6D2 stil has plenty of life left in her.    

I agree.  I think the R Series is an excellent upgrade path for Rebel and M Series users.  The R Series is definitely the way to go should I need a replacement if one of my current bodies fail.  Buy a used 1D body.  They're GREAT!

I spuing for a used 1D Mark IV three years ago, instead of buying a 7D2, for action photography.  Even though it has a lower resolution than my 6D and 6D2, the colors and contrast that it captures more than makes up for it.  

A7EB4E31-E817-4C3B-ACFE-684949CE2E2E.jpeg

You really do not notice a difference until you start pixel peeping, or cropping very deeply.  I tracked this guy all the way across the pond, from take off to landing.  The lens is the Sigma 150-600mm "C" after the AF firmware update.

Pay visit to KEH.  Besides a 1Dx series, the 16MP 1D Mark IV or  the 21MP 1Ds Mark III are the only used 1D bodies I would recommend buying.  

The 1D4 has an APS-H crop sensor, the wider ISO range, and faster frame rate.  The 1Ds3 has a full frame sensor.  Both cameras have the same AF system.  According to a pro sports photographer friend,  both bodies have pretty much the same usable ISO ranges.  I rarely go past ISO 3200 on the 1D4, which is the extended upper limit of the 1Ds3.  My friend says the 1Ds3 is cleaner at the higher ISO settings than the 1D4.

My T6S is 24 MP and seems pretty adequate. Besides if these are larger, Full Frame pixels, think of the noise performance!

@kvbarkley wrote:

My T6S is 24 MP and seems pretty adequate. Besides if these are larger, Full Frame pixels, think of the noise performance!

The 12MP photo of Louis Lunch was captured by a full frame camera.  Looks fine to me.  Lots of fine details.

"The 1D4 has an APS-H crop sensor, ...  The 1Ds3 has a full frame sensor.  Both cameras have the same AF system."

I love my 1D Mk IV. It is a keeper.  I sold off my 1Ds Mk III.  You can tell it is somewhat older then the Mk IV but still a viable camera.

"... the only used 1D bodies I would recommend buying."

I almost totally agree with that.  Except if you can put up with few small quirks the 1D Mk IIn is a buy right now.  You still get most of the 1 series experience for little money.  I still have mine and intend on keeping it. IMHO, I would take it over a R6 any day all day long.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I do see the absolute value in a 1D series.  Even at lower res, the colors they are able to capture cannot be ignored.  They are brilliant.  A little large for me and and you know how I like my articulating screens.  

I use BB so I can touch and feel stuff.  

I have a Payboo card.  30% APR, but I only use it to defraud, I mean avoid paying 9.5% here in CA.  I pay the bill in full so it works for me.  Only drawback with B&H for me is 1 week shipping times, but I can live with it.  Their service is worth it.  Buying from Canon is good too.  Gov only gets 6.5% when I go that route.

Still in wait and see mode.  Haven't decided if we are going to cancel Alaska in July.  I think the worst will be over before then, but not sure about the residual health risks.   I'm not keen getting stuck on a ship.  I think it departs from Seattle too.  CA is on a strict lockdown.  At least I can still walk to the beach and take pictures without getting "in trouble".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I do see the absolute value in a 1D series.  Even at lower res, the colors they are able to capture cannot be ignored.  They are brilliant.  A little large for me and and you know how I like my articulating screens.  

I use BB so I can touch and feel stuff.  

I have a Payboo card.  30% APR, but I only use it to defraud, I mean avoid paying 9.5% here in CA.  I pay the bill in full so it works for me.  Only drawback with B&H for me is 1 week shipping times, but I can live with it.  Their service is worth it.  Buying from Canon is good too.  Gov only gets 6.5% when I go that route.

Still in wait and see mode.  Haven't decided if we are going to cancel Alaska in July.  I think the worst will be over before then, but not sure about the residual health risks.   I'm not keen getting stuck on a ship.  I think it departs from Seattle too.  CA is on a strict lockdown.  At least I can still walk to the beach and take pictures without getting "in trouble".

I do not discount the quality or power of the 1D. It is just that considering what is right around the corner for us, a 1D model is going to become a relic of the past. Now, if I already had a 1D and were spending my day sitting in the stands shooting kids' sports, or at the local stock car or bicycle races, or sitting in a lawn chair shooting photos of the kiddies at play, then I would hang on to my 1D. But for those of us who are on our feet outdoors in rugged country all day -- the desert, the mountain trails, the forests, a slippery and rugged coastline -- then no, given the choices we have today, I am not interested in walking around in these environments with a brick around my neck. It is simply unnecessary, and it why increasing numbers of enthusiasts and pros around the world are making the switch to mirrorless. 

I have high hopes for the R5/R6. The RP was a bit of a joke from day one, and the R was a prototype hampered by some unfortunate design choices, chief among them was the awful and widely panned touch bar, that Canon to its credit has rightly abandoned in favor of the traditional joystick. I think the 5 and the 6 will find target audiences with pent-up demand eager to embrace these cameras. 

John,

A mirrorless equivalent to the 1 series is still going to be a "brick" as you put it because that is what happens when you design a body with a highly ergonomic control layout and a structure designed for rough use, weather sealing to shoot in horrible conditions, and the ability to properly hold very heavy telephoto primes.  For weight comparison purposes, the far more capable 5DIV weighs 200 grams more than a R when both have their battery mounted and the 5DIV will take many more images without needing a second battery.

Quite simply the mirror mechanism doesn't weigh that much and if you make a 1DX performance and handling equivalent without a mirror it will be only slightly lighter and then IT will also need a second battery for sports use where it may be used to capture several thousand images in a few hours, something it easily does now with a single battery.

The 1DX isn't needed for those uses you list unless the better weather sealing is important to you and it is to me given the amount of rain I have hiked in while in the Great Smokies and the glass in my Lowepro backpack weigh more than the body.  But a 5, 6, or 7 series (or a higher end Rebel) will cover the needs of most people just fine and I use my 5DS R quite often when I don't need the heft of a 1 series to provide great ergonomics when mounted to a lens that weighs 5 times or more what a 5D body weighs.  The number of people who need 1DX performance and ergonomics is fairly small and a lot of people buy 1 series who probably shouldn't.  But if you truly need and have used a 1 series then it is pretty easy to cut through the "blither blather".

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements