cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 reports

John_SD
Whiz

Canon seems to be determined to no longer be an also-ran in the mirrorless camera arena. While increasing numbers of enthusiasts and pros have chosen the mirrorless competition, the company really seems to be stepping it up now and I applaud its efforts.

While all the attention seems to be on the R5 right now, and justifiably so, I look forward to seeing what the lower-priced R6 offers. If the leaks so far prove to be true, then the R6 will share some similarities with the R5, among them IBIS and the 5's continuous shooting speed of 20fps with the electronic shutter and 12fps with the mechanical. But it is the rumored R6 20MP sensor that has captivated the attention of many. There is speculation that it could be the same one used in the 1DX Mark III. Interesting if true, though the EVF and weather sealing will not be up to R5 standards. Interesting times ahead for sure, and I hope that Canon delivers big this time. 

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Still not interested!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'll hit BestBuy to hold an R5 when released, but I'm not going backwards in resolution so the R6 is off the table for me.

From my perspective, its going to come down to battery life.  Doesn't mean I'll get one, but that will be one of the top of my list factors affecting my next body purchase.  My 6D2 stil has plenty of life left in her.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I'll hit BestBuy to hold an R5 when released, but I'm not going backwards in resolution so the R6 is off the table for me.

From my perspective, its going to come down to battery life.  Doesn't mean I'll get one, but that will be one of the top of my list factors affecting my next body purchase.  My 6D2 stil has plenty of life left in her.    

I agree that 20MP seems lackluster by today's standards. But there will be other advantages of the R6, including IBIS, its shooting speed and price, chief among them. I think these factors will appeal to enthusiasts who are taking their first steps into full frame.

For me, I will go with B&H as it has no physical presence in California, thus I won't have to pay sales tax. And my experiences thus far with B&H have been stellar. 

I do agree with you about battery life, though. While we can't expect battery life for mirrorless to equal that of most DSLRs, due to the EVF, it has been improving, and I am hopeful that we can get a minimum of 700 shots out of whatever comes with the R5.  Some mirrorless cameras have batteries with CIPA ratings in the low 300s, which would suck. We shall see. 

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

I agree that 20MP seems lackluster by today's standards. But there will be other advantages of the R6, including IBIS, its shooting speed and price, chief among them. I think these factors will appeal to enthusiasts who are taking their first steps into full frame.

For me, I will go with B&H as it has no physical presence in California, thus I won't have to pay sales tax. And my experiences thus far with B&H have been stellar. 

I do agree with you about battery life, though. While we can't expect battery life for mirrorless to equal that of most DSLRs, due to the EVF, it has been improving, and I am hopeful that we can get a minimum of 700 shots out of whatever comes with the R5.  Some mirrorless cameras have batteries with CIPA ratings in the low 300s, which would suck. We shall see. 

The resolution difference between 20MP, 24MP, and 26MP is not a great as you seem to think.  The shot below is 12MP.  Home of the best hamburgers on the planet, IMHO.  Legend says they invented the hamburger.

7911962C-F8BA-4C07-BCF4-54B7A21F13EF.jpeg

I am not so sure I want an IBIS sensor, either.  Cleaning them is not as straight forward as a conventional sensor.  The IBIS mechanism adds $300 to $400 hundred to the cost of a replacement sensor.  Sony has been waging a price war to corner the mirrorless market.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

The resolution difference between 20MP, 24MP, and 26MP is not a great as you seem to think.  The shot below is 12MP.  Home of the best hamburgers on the planet, IMHO.  Legend says they invented the hamburger.

I am not so sure I want an IBIS sensor, either.  Cleaning them is not as straight forward as a conventional sensor.  The IBIS mechanism adds $300 to $400 hundred to the cost of a replacement sensor.  Sony has been waging a price war to corner the mirrorless market.

Perhaps not a big difference between 20MP and 24/26, but the R5 will likely be in the 40MP to 45MP range, and you will see the difference there, if not with the R6. While Canon hasn't disclosed the exact specs of the R6's sensor resolution, we know it will be capable of 8K video capture, suggesting a sensor in the 40+ range. We shall see. And I for one definitely want the IBIS, despite the cleaning issue. 

As for the best burger on the planet, that award must go to Hodad's, the original location in Ocean Beach, CA, a part of the San Diego scene. Of course, every town of any size has a place that serves "the world's greatest hamburger"! 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Perhaps not a big difference between 20MP and 24/26, but the R5 will likely be in the 40MP to 45MP range, and you will see the difference there, if not with the R6. While Canon hasn't disclosed the exact specs of the R6's sensor resolution, we know it will be capable of 8K video capture, suggesting a sensor in the 40+ range. We shall see. And I for one definitely want the IBIS, despite the cleaning issue. 

As for the best burger on the planet, that award must go to Hodad's, the original location in Ocean Beach, CA, a part of the San Diego scene. Of course, every town of any size has a place that serves "the world's greatest hamburger"! 

You do realize that one hidden cost associated with using high MP cameras is that you will likely need more storage, and a more powerful computer to do any type of image processing.  

High MP images have their niche for professinal users.  But, for the average consumer hobbyist having a high MP camera is about as useful as a trophy wife.  Expensive to buy, and more expensive to keep around.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying one.  Just be aware that upgrading to a high MP camera will likely necessitate a significant upgrade in your PC hardware, too, including your monitor(s).

[EDIT]. Louis Lunch is in New Haven, CT.  They invented the hamburger, and still use the same original recipe, fresh beef.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

You do realize that one hidden cost associated with using high MP cameras is that you will likely need more storage, and a more powerful computer to do any type of image processing.  

High MP images have their niche for professinal users.  But, for the average consumer hobbyist having a high MP camera is about as useful as a trophy wife.  Expensive to buy, and more expensive to keep around.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying one.  Just be aware that upgrading to a high MP camera will likely necessitate a significant upgrade in your PC hardware, too, including your monitor(s).

[EDIT]. Louis Lunch is in New Haven, CT.  They invented the hamburger, and still use the same original recipe, fresh beef.

Yes, I am aware of the larger file sizes that high MP cameras produce. The Canon R5 would have a CFExpress slot in addition to supporting UHS-II. I would be more concerned with file sizes if the newer, higher MP cameras were stil relying on slower standard SD cards, which will likely go the way of the floppy disk. 

Please don't add hamburgers to the subjects that we argue about!

In-N-Out all the way. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

Please don't add hamburgers to the subjects that we argue about!

In-N-Out all the way. 8^)

You spelled "Five Guys" wrong! 

Announcements