cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 WiFi failure (2nd camera)

ntingle
Contributor

My new R6 will not detect or find my home WiFi (or any other wifi) network. It shows "Search fo access points" and "Searching..." and then nothing.

It *will* allow the phone to connect to it, if I use the "connect to smartphone" method (this is where the camera starts it's own wifi nertwork). But I cannot connet to my wifi to, e.g., transfer via ftp, as I did with my 5D4. I have tried with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz wifi networks.

This is the second camera with this symptom (the first one wouldn't even allow the local connection). Canon support told me to send the first one back. 

I have updated the firmware to 1.1.1. No difference.

Any ideas? Surely I can't be the only one. My phone can see multiple wifi networks.

33 REPLIES 33

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You might want to check the security settings of your home's access point.  Is the network "hidden"?  Can you see any other Wi-Fi networks when at home?  If can connect to your smartphone, try deleting that connection definition.

If you are in a densely populated area, then you should be able to see multiple networks around you.  You might try visiting a business establishment with free Wi-Fi, or the parking lot of an apartment complex, and test to see if your camera can actually see any other networks.  Of course, do not try to connect.  You just want to find out if it can detect access points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes I thought the same thing so i drove away from the house a little way and now I can see some networks. However when I come back to the house it sees nothing (and/or it freezes, I can't tell).

It's like there's a particular network that causes it to crash/freeze when it sees it. It's not mine, I tried turning that off.

My phone can see a half dozen networks other than my own. I'm in a suburban neighborhood, not a rural area.

I suppose i have to hope that some future firmware update will fix this. It's extremely annoying as I was planning on using ftp to move my images off the camera, same as my 5D4.

thanks

Greetings,

It's likely the R5 and R6 use the same wireless chipsets.

I haven't heard or read about anyone else having an issue like this.  That considered, I think it's unlikely the behavior has anything to do with the camera's or their firmware.  You have established your R6 detects other AP's or networks and it doesn't "crash or freeze" when you are away from your residence.

Your home:

You have turned your Wi-Fi off? and the camera's interface freezes or crashes when it is turned on and you attempt to browse or connect to a wireless network?

Network anomaly: 

Have you tried resetting the camera to defaults?  Certainly worth a try.  Should be easy enough to figure out.  How many networks are you in proximity to?  Try eliminating these variable instead of waiting for a FW update that in all likelyhood has nothing to do with your camera.  If this was a hardware or software issue, others would be posting about it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

ntingle
Contributor
Well, the camera is very new so let's see if anyone else sees it. The R5 us different; it supports 5Ghz.

I was able to find a spot in my driveway where I could see my guest network. For some reason it did not lost my main network so I tried entering the ssid manually and was able to connect!

Once connected I could come inside and the wifi continued to work.

So I have it working but it's hardly convenient.

I have not had any other problems with my network. And yes I tried turning it off and I still could not see any other networks.

Could there be something about how your house is built?  Can you see the home network when you are in the same room with the wireless access point?

ntingle
Contributor
My network works normally for every other device.

It's a mesh network so perhaps I need to try turning off all of the extenders as well.

@ntingle wrote:
My network works normally for every other device.

It's a mesh network so perhaps I need to try turning off all of the extenders as well.

A mesh network should not negatively impact reception.  You should try that.  It sounds like a good test.  But, try being in the same room with the main access point, too.  Aluminum 2x4s used for framing inside of walls can act as ground planes.

ntingle
Contributor
Yes I tried standing in my closet, didn't help. Normal wood framed house.

@ntingle wrote:
Yes I tried standing in my closet, didn't help. Normal wood framed house.

Was that with or without the mesh up and running?  There is something different about your setup.  No idea what it might be.

Announcements