cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 WiFi failure (2nd camera)

ntingle
Contributor

My new R6 will not detect or find my home WiFi (or any other wifi) network. It shows "Search fo access points" and "Searching..." and then nothing.

It *will* allow the phone to connect to it, if I use the "connect to smartphone" method (this is where the camera starts it's own wifi nertwork). But I cannot connet to my wifi to, e.g., transfer via ftp, as I did with my 5D4. I have tried with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz wifi networks.

This is the second camera with this symptom (the first one wouldn't even allow the local connection). Canon support told me to send the first one back. 

I have updated the firmware to 1.1.1. No difference.

Any ideas? Surely I can't be the only one. My phone can see multiple wifi networks.

33 REPLIES 33

suntansuperman
Apprentice
He there. Were you ever able to get this fixed? I just got my R6 yesterday, updated it to 1.1.1, and also I can't connect to anything. Even when I connect via Bluetooth it times out immediately. It's strange because it connected 1 time initially but then hasn't again.

I can reliably connect via bluetooth (when the camera sets up the access point). But if the camera has to connect to wifi first (say, for ftp), it only works if I do a tricky dance that involves going outside my house and then running indoors once it starts to connect...

For bluetooth make sure you have BT and wifi turned on an then use the "easy connect" first on the app. Hopefully there's an entry for connecting to your camera via bluetooth.

Thanks for following up. Even with Bluetooth I'm immediately getting "Connection target not found" the issue is that this feature isn't a huge deal because i hardly shoot remotely but to not be able to use it seeing i switched back from shooting sony for similar reasons is frustrating for sure. 

I would try 'reset all network settings', unpair the device from your phone and set it up again

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4509660?page=4

Looks like this is a known problem connecting R5/R6 to eero mesh networks, and there's (another) workaround.

Hopefully a future firmware update will fix this permanently.

Thanks for that info. Sure enough i'm using an eero. 

Mariooo1
Apprentice

Hi All,

I faced the same issue and identified the problem + kind of a solution.

Each WiFi router transmits the signal on certain Channel (1-13) and Channel Width (20/40 MHz). Usually the best channels are 1, 6 and 11, whereas the width depends on the signal congestion in the area. What I noticed while trying to find my SSID was that mostly networks with channels 6, 9 and 11 were shown in the R6 list.

My settings were set to Channel 13 / 40 MHz.

When I updated them to CH 9 / 20MHz, then only my network SSID was displayed in the list and I was able to connect without any problem. I tried with 6 / 20 MHz and it also worked.

So, basically, CANON must fix the WiFi configuration in both R5 and R6 so that users can connect easily like with any other device.

Cheers,

Marian

P.S. I also replied in the DPreview thread.

Thanks, however there's no way to change the channel on the eero. What type of wifi router do you have?

Well, it seems eero is kind of limited in this respect. I am using a TP-Link router. It supports mesh devices too even though I don't have any.

I just tried the new firmware 1.2.0 on my R6 and this does not fix the problem.

Announcements