cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 - Use Focus Peaking on vintage (non-chiped) lens

BorisHarss
Apprentice

Hello, All!

My dream would be to be able to use vintabe Canon FD and FL lenses (or M42, ...) on my new R6 with a simmulation of an old manual focussing screen like my Canon AE-1 had 1000 years ago. But I would settle to be able to use the focussing guide (three arrows that align in focus) on historic lenses. Unfortunately, it seems, that when the camera does not "see" a lens, it does not allow ths feature.

Do I do this wrong? Advice is very welcome!

Cheers,

Boris!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Hmm.  That does not sound right.  Can the camera take a photo with the adapted lenses?  There is a default setting in the camera that should prevent it from taking a photo if the camera thinks there is no lens attached to the body.  An M42 mount lens would cause this type of situation.

How are you adapting the lenses to the camera body?  Are you using the EF-RF mount adapter?  If so, who made it.?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi!

No, no, these are vintage lenses, in my case Canon FL or FD, so like the M42 you mention. I understand that you would need a chipped adapter that tells the camera at a minimum the focal lenght of the attached lens in order to function. Such an adapter does not exist, it seems. Also, Magic Lantern says, it is pretty much impossible to trick the camera into accepting lens (as user input) info if there is no lens electronically conveying it. I woudl really wish Canon would make this an option (right where you say: Release shutter without lens, ... , and assume this focal length for IBIS and Focus Assisit... )

Cheers,

B.

FL 55_1.2

@BorisHarss wrote:

Hi!

"     My dream would be to be able to use vintabe Canon FD and FL lenses (or M42, ...) on my new R6 with a simmulation of an old manual focussing screen like my Canon AE-1 had 1000 years ago. But I would settle to be able to use the focussing guide (three arrows that align in focus) on historic lenses. Unfortunately, it seems, that when the camera does not "see" a lens, it does not allow ths feature."

No, no, these are vintage lenses, in my case Canon FL or FD, so like the M42 you mention. I understand that you would need a chipped adapter that tells the camera at a minimum the focal lenght of the attached lens in order to function. Such an adapter does not exist, it seems. Also, Magic Lantern says, it is pretty much impossible to trick the camera into accepting lens (as user input) info if there is no lens electronically conveying it. I woudl really wish Canon would make this an option (right where you say: Release shutter without lens, ... , and assume this focal length for IBIS and Focus Assisit... )

Cheers,

B.

Focus peaking should not be dependent or related to the focusing box and arrows that you describe in your first post.  If the camera does not display the box with vintage lenses, then I suggest that you stick to using focus peaking.  Just remember that focus peaking is not displayed during magnified views.

Thank you, Waddizzle,

Yes, this is what I feel I will have to do. Focus peaking (color marks for the in-focus area) does work, but only as good as it works as a concept. In my experience, for wider angel lenses, it does not work and it is distracting in any case. I rather just magnify.

Hey, maybe it would be great if canon came out with a chipped FD adaper themselves. It would be basically a mechanical adapter, but you would dial in the adapter the lens you have monted. A late bow to the early great products! 😉

Cheers,

B.

@BorisHarss wrote:

Thank you, Waddizzle,

Yes, this is what I feel I will have to do. Focus peaking (color marks for the in-focus area) does work, but only as good as it works as a concept. In my experience, for wider angel lenses, it does not work and it is distracting in any case. I rather just magnify.

Hey, maybe it would be great if canon came out with a chipped FD adaper themselves. It would be basically a mechanical adapter, but you would dial in the adapter the lens you have monted. A late bow to the early great products! 😉

Cheers,

B.

If Canon did not make a chipped adapter for the EF mount to use FD lenses, i doubt if they will make one for the RF mount.

I would think focus with a wide angle lens would be much easier than with a normal or telephoto focal length.  Take advantage of the very short hyperfocal distance in a wide angle lens.  

For example, the hyperfocal distance with my 14mm is only a few feet.  I don't need to focus on distant objects.  I just focus on something a few feet away, fully confident that everything at that distance out to infinity will be in focus.

The thing is- with EF, it would not have worked for the flange distance. Here, it is really almost a high-school engineering project!
Announcements