cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 - IBIS running even when CAMERA is turned OFF

mjrobinson72
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've had my EOS R6 for about a month now and absolutely love it. However, quite often, I will hear the shutter curtain spontaneously activate when my camera is turned off and just sitting on the tripod nearby, I figured it was just going into some super sleep mode after a few hours of inactivity.

However, I pulled my camera out of my bag this morning and the IBIS was running and chattering away. I figured I'd left the camera turned on by accident. However, the camera was well and truly turned OFF.

I turned it on, set the IS on the 24-105 to OFF and confirmed the IBIS  also stopped. Turned IS back on, turned CAMERA back OFF and IS stopped properly.

My battery was almost flat from running the IBIS in my bag for a day.

Am worried what sort of strain this might put on the mechanics of the IBIS. But don't want to have to keep taking batteries out every time I turn the camera off.

Is this normal or do I have a gremlin?

Cheers,

Mat

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is your Bluetooth enabled?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Yes it is. I use my camera to VLOG, so I use the Canon Connect app on my phone quite a lot.

@mjrobinson72 wrote:

Hi Waddizzle,

Yes it is. I use my camera to VLOG, so I use the Canon Connect app on my phone quite a lot.

Have you tried disabling Bluetooth when it is not in use?  

I agree with you.  When you switch the camera off, I would expect it to actually be turned off, not merely sleeping.

[EDIT]. I would create a custom shooting mode with my VLOG settings and Bluetooth enabled, something which is probably wise to do, anyway.  When you are done shooting, switch the camera out of the custom mode to one of the regular Creative modes that has Bluetooth disabled.

OK, thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.

Was sitting on the couch with my camera on the coffee table and I heard the shutter go again. It's like a two second delay between opening and closing.

I'll get back to you with what I find with the bluetooth.

Cheers

I turned off Bluetooth and wifi by going in to Airplane Mode.

So far I haven't heard the shutter release on its own, but I have to be sitting within 5 feet of the camera when it does it in order to hear it.

The IBIS running in my bag has only happened once since I got the camera over a month ago.

Custom Shooting Modes C1-C3 unfortunately are not available for video modes, only stills.

Cheers

I've had the camera close to hand for a few days and haven't heard it since. I'll up date if I catch it again.

Not sure why having bluetooth and wifi enabled would cause the shutter curtain to preiodicaly activate or the IBIS to run even when the camera is turned off. Seems like a wildly unconnected feature.

@mjrobinson72 wrote:

I've had the camera close to hand for a few days and haven't heard it since. I'll up date if I catch it again.

Not sure why having bluetooth and wifi enabled would cause the shutter curtain to preiodicaly activate or the IBIS to run even when the camera is turned off. Seems like a wildly unconnected feature.

Are you certain the camera power switch has actually been switched to OFF.  The symptoms that you describe are fully consistent with the camera merely going to sleep, into a stand-by mode, which allows for an external device to wake it up.

Yup, 100%.

When I flip the power switch, the screen shuts down and I hear the shutter curtain park itself.

I just set it on a tripod next to the couch so I'm close by and randomly hear the curtain activate again. Usually several hours later.

The screen doesn't seem to turn on when it happens, so it doesn't seem like it's being woken up by something trying to connect.

Maybe I just have a dodgy power switch. Especially given the time that the IBIS was running.

So far, with the camera in airplane mode, I haven't heard it since. So that might be the fix.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

I'll try airplane mode also. I guess this could be user error, but like you, my expectation is that Off means Off. Regardless of network settings. 

Announcements