cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 - IBIS and LENS compatibility

GRIZZTAVIDZ
Apprentice

I ordered and received my R6 last week and am extremely happy with the handling, quality, AF performance and more. 

Because EF/RF adapers are hard to come by, I am working with a limited budget to pick up some RF options, in addition to my 24-105 Kit lens. 

I just purchased and received the SAMYANG 85mm 1.4 RF mount lens. I am delighted by the build quality and optics for the price. My first portrait tests look stunning!

HOWEVER,

It appears that the IBIS is completely inactive and wonky when using this lens in either photo or video and it looks ESPECIALLY swimmy in VIDEO mode.

Has anyone else had IBIS issues with third-party RF glass?

Am I the only one?

Thanks! I recognize the system is new, I am just working with what I have!

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you try using the lens with IBIS disabled.  When you are using the EF lens mount adapter the IBIS system is degraded from 5-axis stabilization to 2-axis stabilization, even with Canon EF lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

GRIZZTAVIDZ
Apprentice
I appreciate that tip. I’m still learning the menu system but I don’t see where I have an option to disable OR enable the ibis manually on the R6. The only stabilization options I can find in the menu are the electronica ones, and they refuse to work with this lens.

I will say that I did some 4K 60 fps shooting last night and it appeared that the Ibis started kicking in in a much smoother way than with 24 fps. It wasn’t flashing the “Ibis disengaged” Icon either

@GRIZZTAVIDZ wrote:
I appreciate that tip. I’m still learning the menu system but I don’t see where I have an option to disable OR enable the ibis manually on the R6. The only stabilization options I can find in the menu are the electronica ones, and they refuse to work with this lens.

I will say that I did some 4K 60 fps shooting last night and it appeared that the Ibis started kicking in in a much smoother way than with 24 fps. It wasn’t flashing the “Ibis disengaged” Icon either

This is what the menu looks like in the R5.  Notice the menu location.  I downloaded the manual for the wrong camera..  

5321FC32-3536-4455-9828-19863B8D425E.jpeg

Thanks for the screenshot. On the R6, this exact menu item does not give you an IS option, but instead - a DIGITAL IS option. Even when I turn that on, it is not compatible with this lens because it automatically shows the Digital IS icon with it crossed out.

@GRIZZTAVIDZ wrote:

Thanks for the screenshot. On the R6, this exact menu item does not give you an IS option, but instead - a DIGITAL IS option. Even when I turn that on, it is not compatible with this lens because it automatically shows the Digital IS icon with it crossed out.

Are you looking at page 237 in the R6 manual?

BFCFAA93-AD46-4C26-822F-4A1EF94AC8D4.png

Announcements