cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 with 119.88 FPS 1080p in future?

Akarlss0n
Apprentice

Anyone else than me who think its a bummer that the R5 is missing 120 FPS in FHD? 

Jared Polin in FornosPhoto states in his video about the R5 and R6 that "Canon is aware of this and is seriously considering a firmware update to add 1080p at 120 fps in the future (no specific timeline was given)."

Is there anyone who can confirm that canon realy is considering to add this in the future to the R5? 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let them ship it first.  You can always downsample the 4K 120 FPS to Full HD in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Let them ship it first.  You can always downsample the 4K 120 FPS to Full HD in post.

But that is a massive bitrate to handle. Since 4K 120 is only available to record in ALL-I format and is 1880 Mbps 13447 MB/min.

I would like to see a ALL-I 1080p 120 record mode that could be around maybe 300-500 Mbps or somewhere in that range.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The R5 has a lot of video modes but it is a "still" camera with video capabilities so if video is your primary interest it may not be the best choice for you and that is true of the overwhelming majority of DSLR and mirrorless camera bodies.  Heating issues during higher load video modes were reported by UK based R5 testers and that isn't surprising because the camera is designed to be resistant to environmental conditions unlike purpose built video cameras with active cooling systems.  For shorter clips or use in an inside well cooled environment it won't be an issue but if you are planning to shoot long clips outside, particularly in the sunlight, you will want to delve into the time/temperature constraints to be sure that those fit with your planned application.

The R5 manual details those time constraints which are very reasonable at their test temperature of 23C (73F) but those will drop dramatically in outside summer temperature particularly if the camera is also being heated by the sun. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

The R5 has a lot of video modes but it is a "still" camera with video capabilities so if video is your primary interest it may not be the best choice for you and that is true of the overwhelming majority of DSLR and mirrorless camera bodies.  Heating issues during higher load video modes were reported by UK based R5 testers and that isn't surprising because the camera is designed to be resistant to environmental conditions unlike purpose built video cameras with active cooling systems.  For shorter clips or use in an inside well cooled environment it won't be an issue but if you are planning to shoot long clips outside, particularly in the sunlight, you will want to delve into the time/temperature constraints to be sure that those fit with your planned application.

The R5 manual details those time constraints which are very reasonable at their test temperature of 23C (73F) but those will drop dramatically in outside summer temperature particularly if the camera is also being heated by the sun. 

Rodger

Yeah you are right and im not planning to use those "big" video capabilites that it offers. Mostly because of the high bitrates they are recorded in. But I will however use the 1080p modes which is recorded with ALL-I. Unfortunate enough The EOS R6 only records with IPB and the bitrates are a bit too low in my experience..

John_SD
Whiz

@Akarlss0n wrote:

Anyone else than me who think its a bummer that the R5 is missing 120 FPS in FHD? 

Jared Polin in FornosPhoto states in his video about the R5 and R6 that "Canon is aware of this and is seriously considering a firmware update to add 1080p at 120 fps in the future (no specific timeline was given)."

Is there anyone who can confirm that canon realy is considering to add this in the future to the R5? 

"Anyone else than me who think its a bummer that the R5 is missing 120 FPS in FHD?"

No, I couldn't care less. I am interested in photography, not videos. If I were interested in videos, I'd get a proper camcorder.

"Is there anyone who can confirm that canon realy is considering to add this in the future to the R5?"

I'd keep an eye on Canon Rumors. Good luck with your videos. 

ImageAndFilm
Enthusiast
  • Yes! Canon Japan lists it on their website.
    Also I have already used the camera and can confirm there is not available.

PLEASE PLEASE contact Canon and tell them you want this. 4k 120p uses the most data and has the worst overheating issue. Canon needs to add 1080p 120fps to the R5. Even the R6 has FullHD 120fps.

Here is the link. Convert to English. It's listed as a consideration of feature firmware section
    Just Google the official Canon Japan site. It's listed under the specs. Photo included Screenshot_20200725-122514_Chrome.jpg

@ImageAndFilm wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE contact Canon and tell them you want this. 4k 120p uses the most data and has the worst overheating issue. Canon needs to add 1080p 120fps to the R5. Even the R6 has FullHD 120fps.

Stop begging posters to contact Canon. Most of the regular posters here are interested in photography, not "filming" crappy YouTube videos of their friends.

Haha. Tell that to Canon's millions in R&D and marketing budgets.Canon has barely mentioned photo. The teased video specs the entire time. I like how you wrote "most'. This post is about video haha 

Hilarious comment. 

@ImageAndFilm wrote:

"The teased video specs the entire time...This post is about video haha..."

You should delete that Japanese link you posted. 

Announcements