cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 w/GP-E2 GPS receiver Shooting Direction

karchner14
Contributor

Anyone have an idea why canon doesnt allow the R5 to record shooting direction from the GP-E2?  My 6D can and the R5 is a more advanced camera.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

See page 695 of your user manual. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I read that i was just curious if therre was a reason why they cant add it?

@karchner14 wrote:

I read that i was just curious if there was a reason why they cant add it?

Conceivably it's just one of the features that got pitched in their zeal to try to minimize battery consumption.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@karchner14 wrote:

Conceivably it's just one of the features that got pitched in their zeal to try to minimize battery consumption.

It uses its; own batteries.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TalktoSonic wrote:

It uses its; own batteries.

Shooting direction and altitude has always been the main selling points for the external GP-E2. For me, knowing latitude and longitude have been sufficient. I tend to keep both feet on the ground, so altitude isn't something I need.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@karchner14 wrote:

Anyone have an idea why canon doesnt allow the R5 to record shooting direction from the GP-E2?  My 6D can and the R5 is a more advanced camera.

The 6D has an internal GPS receiver, but it does not report shooting direction, but it does log altitude.  Shooting direction and altitude has always been the main selling points for the external GP-E2.  For me, knowing latitude and longitude have been sufficient.  I tend to keep both feet on the ground, so altitude isn't something I need.  Direction would be nice, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I tested my GP-E2 on my 6D instead of using the internal GPS and when the GP-E2 is attached it reports shooting direction on the 6D. Wondering why the R5 can't right shooting direction as well.

Most likely only someone from Canon Japan can answer that question.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements