cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 operating while charging

greggp
Enthusiast

I'm thinking about upgrading from my EOS R to the R5. I used the EOS R for some video recording at 1080p (didn't shoot at 4K because of the crop factor, which is one of the reasons for upgrading). Some of the videos were recordings of lectures. The EOS R was connected to an external power adapter that used a DC coupler (dummy battery), that is connected to a power adapter with an AC power cord. This way I could record the video over a longer period of time without needing to swap out batteries. It's made by Glorich (Glorich ACK-E6 replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Canon EOS). I think it might work with the R5, but I'm a little worried about using it with such an expensive camera.

I came across a chart comparing the EOS R5/R6 with the EOS R. Line item 19, Power Delivery Support for
Charging/Powering, states that for the R5/R6 they have the ability to operate and shoot with the camera while charging with the Power Adapter PD-E1. Is this correct? 

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Do your research.  The R5 and 6 record great HQ video, but can overheat depending on environmental conditions, quality settings and duration.  This is well documented on the web.

There are ways to overcome some of these obstacles, but you may want to investigate further to ensure the camera will meet your use case and needs.

Don't use a 3rd party power adapter with your $4300 camera and hope.  If you're spending that kind of dough, plan on a OEM power solution.  Why risk it.

See supplies and accessories:

Mirrorless | EOS R5 | Canon USA

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements