cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 freezes unable to take picture then suddenly comes back

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I just received my EOS R5 and am still trying to figure it all out.  I have been using Canon cameras for most of my life and currently own a 5D M IV and 5DS.  On many occasions the R5 seems to freeze and I am unable to take a pictures. It will not auto focus.  After about 5-10 seconds it is OK again.  The functions buttons and menus still work.   I have noticed when this happens that the touch shutter icon goes away.  When it comes back it works normally again.  Sometimes all I have to do is move the camera, the touch shutter will come back, and I can take a picture.  It doesn't matter what lens is on.  I have  tried to research this problem and see several post where people are reporting the R5 freezing but they have to turn it off and back on or remove the battery to get it back.  That is NOT happening for me .  I am wondering if I am missing something.  Maybe I am initiating something and it has to time out before I can snap a picture.  I just installed the latest firmware.20.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After talking with Canon tech support they think my R5 must have a factory defect.  I have owed many Canon products and this is the first with a defect coming out of the factory.  B&H has ordered a replacement but of course it is back ordered.  I can still use the camera and learned how to work around the problem but it seems to be getting worse.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Have they found a solution yet, or are you still waiting on your camera? I'm only asking because it's my only camera, and would rather wait until the fix is in. I called Canon today and they advised me to send my camera in as well - motherboard being the suspicious culprit. My camera only froze on 1 day since I had it back on July 30, but it did so 3 times that day. I have also not been able to record in 8k ever since I did the very 1st firmware update, saying my card is now too slow (CF Express, type B, 1600MB/sec). I set the camera to record in 1080p, works ok, and that's fine with me as I only use video to record family clips. But last week, I bought an RF 100-500mm and wow! What a sluggish AF compared to my EF 70-300mm L and EF 400mm f5.6 lenses. The animal AF is blazing fast with the EF lenses, but my RF lens hunts like crazy, and will not lock on the subject. 😞

Based on all 3 scenerios, Canon customer care suggested I send the R5 back in. I'm willing to wait until the fix is in, so long as it's before my warranty expires. I'm just hoping now, that the problem on the AF issue is related, otherwise, I will now miss my return window on the lens. The guy at Canon said it didn't matter that the EF lenses work well, as the communication is different on each lens. It isn't an EF VS RF either because my RF 24-105 L paired with my R5 is a dream combo. This was the first time I was ever an early adopter, and definitely the last. 

@tbintb wrote:

Have they found a solution yet, or are you still waiting on your camera? I'm only asking because it's my only camera, and would rather wait until the fix is in. I called Canon today and they advised me to send my camera in as well - motherboard being the suspicious culprit. My camera only froze on 1 day since I had it back on July 30, but it did so 3 times that day. I have also not been able to record in 8k ever since I did the very 1st firmware update, saying my card is now too slow (CF Express, type B, 1600MB/sec). I set the camera to record in 1080p, works ok, and that's fine with me as I only use video to record family clips. But last week, I bought an RF 100-500mm and wow! What a sluggish AF compared to my EF 70-300mm L and EF 400mm f5.6 lenses. The animal AF is blazing fast with the EF lenses, but my RF lens hunts like crazy, and will not lock on the subject. 😞

Based on all 3 scenerios, Canon customer care suggested I send the R5 back in. I'm willing to wait until the fix is in, so long as it's before my warranty expires. I'm just hoping now, that the problem on the AF issue is related, otherwise, I will now miss my return window on the lens. The guy at Canon said it didn't matter that the EF lenses work well, as the communication is different on each lens. It isn't an EF VS RF either because my RF 24-105 L paired with my R5 is a dream combo. This was the first time I was ever an early adopter, and definitely the last. 

The issue could be related to memory card formatting.  Try formatting your memory cards on a PC before using them in the camera.  Formatting them in the camera, or attempting to could be the culprit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, I will try that. Just ordered a reader for it. I have been formatting in-camera from day 1. Crossing my fingers. 

cadavidmora
Apprentice
I believe that what canon is doing is not right and in a legal way they should respond to us, we should meet and prepare actions

MariaZ
Apprentice

I got my R5 in Aug 2021 . Firmware updated to 2.0.   used RF35 & 50f/1.2 for the shoot.  SDCFexpress 512G.   The freezing issue has been found since day 1.  and get more serious lately, even after updated. Sent to Canon twice but they said it must be  related to the card.   They didn't fix a thing. So I had a new card, formatted in the camera.  Same freezing issue. Very frustrating since I missed many good moments cuz of this freezing issue.    I now sent to Canon for repair - they agreed to change the motherboard for me. but still claiming it's related to the cards ( how is it possible that all 3 new cards experienced the same freezing issue, I am not convinced).   I am still awaiting for the  final result. If the same freezing issue happen again after fixing, I plan to sell it and stop using R5 as it's making me very unprofessional.  Used Canon for 10 years and never had any issue!  This is very frustrating.  

Scoots3571
Contributor

May I ask how everyone is charging their batteries? USB in camera or wall charger with the battery pulled from the camera? I just started to use the USB to charge in camera and mine froze today for the 1st time. 

Announcements