cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 freezes unable to take picture then suddenly comes back

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I just received my EOS R5 and am still trying to figure it all out.  I have been using Canon cameras for most of my life and currently own a 5D M IV and 5DS.  On many occasions the R5 seems to freeze and I am unable to take a pictures. It will not auto focus.  After about 5-10 seconds it is OK again.  The functions buttons and menus still work.   I have noticed when this happens that the touch shutter icon goes away.  When it comes back it works normally again.  Sometimes all I have to do is move the camera, the touch shutter will come back, and I can take a picture.  It doesn't matter what lens is on.  I have  tried to research this problem and see several post where people are reporting the R5 freezing but they have to turn it off and back on or remove the battery to get it back.  That is NOT happening for me .  I am wondering if I am missing something.  Maybe I am initiating something and it has to time out before I can snap a picture.  I just installed the latest firmware.20.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After talking with Canon tech support they think my R5 must have a factory defect.  I have owed many Canon products and this is the first with a defect coming out of the factory.  B&H has ordered a replacement but of course it is back ordered.  I can still use the camera and learned how to work around the problem but it seems to be getting worse.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I discovered that if I hold the camera and rapidly move it from side to side the touch shutter icon will turn on and off and the camera will go into and out of this freeze mode.  As I continued to do this all of a sudden it stopped happening.  Now it is not doing it at all.  I am beginning to wonder if something is lose in the camera or there is a bug with the new firmware.

The first time I tried Animal detect AF the camera locked up. I upgraded all the firmware, including lens firmware for the RF 70-200mm f/2.8 and it hasn't happened again.

BTW, I tried the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 on the EOS R and it wouldn't even turn on.

I have a suspicion that certain lenses can cause issues with the RF cameras. 

@sparkycpg wrote:

I discovered that if I hold the camera and rapidly move it from side to side the touch shutter icon will turn on and off and the camera will go into and out of this freeze mode.  As I continued to do this all of a sudden it stopped happening.  Now it is not doing it at all.  I am beginning to wonder if something is lose in the camera or there is a bug with the new firmware.

I suggest that you contact Canon Support.  They seem to get busier around the winter holidays, BTW.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you are using the rear LED screen for shooting.  What position is/was the screen in?  Was it extended or folded into the rear of the camera like a regular rear display?

What happens if you close it up, hiding the display, and use the viewfinder for shooting?  Does it still freeze up.

BTW, firmware updates cannot "fix" malfunctioning hardware.  Could there be a bug in the new firmware?  There is always that possibility.  But, I would first look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I usually use the viewfinder and I do not think it matters if I use the viewfinder of the LED screen.  The LED screen is open but snapped into the camera body.  Right now I can't seem to get to to happen again so I will have to wait and see.  I do plan on contacting support.  It is looking more like a lose connection or part.

I tried two different lenses.  The Canon RF 24-70 2.8L IS and my 24-70 2.8 EF lens with the adapter.  Both did the same think.  I only use Canon lenses.

After talking with Canon tech support they think my R5 must have a factory defect.  I have owed many Canon products and this is the first with a defect coming out of the factory.  B&H has ordered a replacement but of course it is back ordered.  I can still use the camera and learned how to work around the problem but it seems to be getting worse.

Looks like all the ICL cameras R6, R5 & R3 have this problem of freezing. It is a fundamental defect. I believe it happens when auto focus is used continuously. Removing the battery is the only option.

Perhaps some kind of memory leak that builds up over time.

cadavidmora
Apprentice

my camera freezes every day it happened with different batteries different memories. and sd different. the camera started restarting in the middle of my music video work with the musicians in front of me where I only had minutes to do the covers. The worst thing about this is the terrible service from Canon. I bought the camera a month ago and they tell me that they repair it is an injustice. that apart from staying if my work tool touches me to rent and they give me a repaired camera.

Photoapeal
Contributor

I waited more than 30 days before I realized something was really wrong with the Camera so I was past B&H return policy. The first time it would lock up and then I would need to pull the batteries to get it working again, it would do this several times during a shoot. After sending it into Canon Repair they replaced the main board. After recieving it back that weekend it froze up 4 more times but this time it would freeze & the light would stay red and after a minute or two you'd hear a clunk and it would unfreeze it did that twice and I did have to remove the batteries twice as well to get it functional again. I let Canon know and it's in the shop for a second time, this time for over a month. A Canon repair supervisor called me and said that they are aware of this issue and have a solution is coming soon. Luckily I have a backup camera a 7d MK II which has been reliable. I opted instead of sending equipment back and forth that they could hold onto it for awhile longer since the fix might be coming soon, hopefully that's the case. 

I had opted for Canon for many years now since I've always had good luck with their cameras being reliable and excellent overall quaility. I had a Canon G2, 6D, 7D MK II and now the R5. Right now kind of regretting the R5 purchase. I have faith that Canon will make it right. 

Announcements