cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 file transfer failure via USB-C

flagship_1
Contributor

My Canon R5 has been having issues copying video files from the camera to my computer via USB-C.
I recorded ten short clips and played them back successfully on my TV through the HDMI port.
Next, I moved the camera body to my desktop computer, connected them through the USB-C port and copied files from the camera's SDXC card to my computer's hard drive.
Copy completed and four thumbnails appeared on my computer screen showing thumbnails with positive GB file sizes and recorded time stamps.
The remaining six files indicate 'zero bytes' file size, thumbnails with no content.
I retested playback of all these files on the back of the camera and all ten played back fine on the rear LCD.
The data is there in camera on the SDXC, but the camera won't send data from those last six video files to my computer.
I'm not having issues copying still photos, just video.
I have repeated this test with the same results.

EOS R5 USB-C file transfer fails.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

20210204 Problem Solved.
Canon's OS Utility App 3.13.10 for Windows is the key.
I recorded 26 short video files late on 20210203_pm.
All of them sucessfully tranferred from R5 Camera body directly to my Windows computer through USB-C and played back OK.
Case closed for now.

Support | Mirrorless | EOS R5 | Canon USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

I don't know.

Do they play if you double click directly in the folder on the desktop?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

20210204 Problem Solved.
Canon's OS Utility App 3.13.10 for Windows is the key.
I recorded 26 short video files late on 20210203_pm.
All of them sucessfully tranferred from R5 Camera body directly to my Windows computer through USB-C and played back OK.
Case closed for now.

Support | Mirrorless | EOS R5 | Canon USA

Ouch!  Canon tools are not working yet on Apple's Big Sur M1 OS  and I am trying to download my first images on my new camera, so I have chosen to try using IOS Camera Connect, now waiting for photos to sync to the photos app on my MacBook Pro M1.

Any member heard when Canons Tools will be fixed for the new apple chip?

Thanks

I never use the Canon tools, I just use ImageCapture.

Announcements