cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Wi-Fi Issues “Searching for access points” loop

Apertura86
Contributor

I'm an achitectural photographer and visit many residential homes. I've used the 5DsR for the past 5 years with no issues using the Wi-Fi feature. 

This was my second shoot with my new R5. In my clients home I could not get my camera to connect via WiFi to my laptop or smartphone. It was stuck in a loop displaying "Searching for access points" 

I finished the shoot with my now backup camera the 5DsR with WiFi, zero issues.

I find it unreasonable that a brand new professional camera exhibits these type of problems. Canon tech support mentioned router interference, this is also unreasonable to ask my clients to turn off their routers or hunt down some neighbor with an offending connection. Back in my hotel room the camera Wi-Fi started working again. The issue might be connected to my clients home mesh network. Not sure.

Any help or routing this issue to Canon engineering would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jxu158
Apprentice

So I finally get it working all the time.  Here is what I did:

1.  Choose blue tooth to pair the camera with your device.

2.  After it is successfully paired, turn off the camera.  The bluetooth works all the time even when the camera is off.

3.  Start the CameraConnect application. Click the icon next to the "Camera Icon".  If it tells you that  "you are not currently connected to any camera", click the scan button.  It will find your camera, ask you if you want to connect to it.  Once it is connected to the camera you will see "Images on Camera" change from disabled (grey) to enabled.

4.  Once "images on Camera" is enabled, click it.  It will automatically connect to the camera and ask you if you want to join the wireless network that started by the camera.  You click "Yes" and everything works from there.

5.  After the first time setup, as long as you do not change the paired device from the camera, "CameraConnect" will always connect to the camera when it detects the camera.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How far apart are the laptop/phone and the R5 camera?

An alternative is to use Bluetooth, which will limit your working distance.  But, Bluetooth can also be used to initiate a connection via Wi-Fi.  Not sure how it works in the mirrorless bodies, but in DSLRs Bluetooth is used to automate the connection to Wi-Fi.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The laptop and phone were right next to the camera. Bluetooth connected but required a Wi-Fi connection to enable the advanced features.

My older 5DsR that was also on site worked flawlessly via Wi-Fi with the Canon W-E1 adapter. 

The R5 has issues with certain networks and they cause a hang up in the camera's software menu. It does not go to the next step to give you the option of a direct connection. It will stay in "Searching for access points" indefinitely. 

Sounds like you are connecting to the local access point in the customers home.  Contact Canon Support.  Others have reported issues connect to mesh networks, too.

I have a wireless router that I carry in my bag, so tha t do not have to go through changes to make a Wi-Fi connection when I am in the field.

I have a small battery powered Wi-Fi router too. The R5 camera software stays hung up on "Searching for access points" and never goes to the next step in letting you select a network or make a direct connection. 

Whatever the offending nearby Wi-Fi network was I'm not in a position to turn it off or hunt it down on a professional shoot with clients/homeowners nearby. 

The camera (R5) returned to normal once I left the site. The fact that my older 5DsR established a direct connection with my laptop on-set leads me to belive its some kind of glitch in the R5 wifi software/hardware 

"The camera (R5) returned to normal once I left the site. The fact that my older 5DsR established a direct connection with my laptop on-set leads me to belive its some kind of glitch in the R5 wifi software/hardware "

Does the Wi-Fi adapter also work with the R5?

No, the Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter is for EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R only

Any solution to this issue?  I just purchased an R5 and am having the same problem.  Very distressing!!

I have the same problem with an R7

Announcements