Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎09-07-2014

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch

[ Edited ]

@Tronhard wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

 

So here is my question:

 

Canon EOS R with 30.3MP

OR

Canon R6 with 20.1MP

as a shooter not concerned with IBIS, Dual Card Slots, or Video.


Thanks for your input Smiley Happy!

Scott S


Your statement says you are a 'Senior Portrait Photographer, Travel Photographer, and Family Session Photographer part-time' I am not sure what the designation Senior represents, but I take you that you do photography part-time and have another career. I can find no bio information in your profile, so please bear with me if I ask a couple of questions...

 

What is your output?   How BIG an image do you need to print?  What is your budget?

 

See the comments of two expert professional photographers starting at time 28:20 in THIS VIDEO.

In particular, according to a highly-regarded professional fashion and portrait photographer in the video in my link, he can print 30"x46" image (life-size) image with excellent resolution. (time 31:02).

 

I am suprised that you would be down on a sensor of 20 MP resolution: professionals have been shooting with that resolution for years and getting great results.  You describe the EOS 6D as a 'decent, solid camera', and that has a similar sized sensor, so if you are getting acceptable results with that then you should have no issues.  The R6 should easily surpass the EOS 6D in terms of dynamic range, low light performance, focusing and image quality overall - it IS based on the sensor of the EOS 1DXIII, after all.  Much of the rest comes down to lenses and how you use the camera.

 

As a professional, I would be surprised that you would not value having dual SD cards, something that has been called for by pro's for some time to reduce the risk of card failure, and that clients will not tolerate if it impacts on their product delivery. This is particularly signficant for events you cannot repeat, like travel, family reunions and weddings.  This is one advantage of the R6 has over the R5, which has the second card set up for high resolution video recording, and would be less useful to you.  Furthermore the R5 has more investment in Hi-Res video work, something you are not paying for in the R6, yet you get virtually all of the other photographic features.

 

Unless you shoot with a tripod - somewhat challenging to do at social events and for travel, then IBIS, combined with in lens stabilization (unique to Canon) will offer you much better performance in terms of hit rate, especially with the EF 135L 2.0 you say you shoot with that has no stabilization.

 

Again, because we have no budget, it is hard to look at the economics of your decision.  You seem to want high resolution, yet you have kept the 6D at 20MP when the 6DII with 24MP became available, along with other cameras with MUCH higher resolution like the 5DsR at 51MP, so I assume cost is significant to you.  

 

Furthermore, your lenses appear to be 2x EF (but not L) lenses and one EF-L older lens.  While these may render acceptable results with a 20MP sensor, you may find them seriously challenged with a 45MP unit.  You probably want to investigate that, as you may need to upgrade your lenses to use the R5 more than the R6 go get the best out of the much higher resolution unit. That will signifcantly add to the cost of the R5 option, whereas you may get away with what you have using the R6.


Thanks very much for your thorough response, Tronhard. I have been out of town and am just now getting back to you. By Senior Portrait Photographer, I mean specifically portraits of students who will be seniors. I've done 10 of those sessions, being new to professional photography. I am not a wedding shooter, and have no plans to move to that realm. I have been a professional music educator for 38 years, and now am in "Re-Creation" mode, both doing portrait photography, guiding groups to India (travel photography) and giving music lessons. 


My output is mostly senior portrait photography. Yet when we are in India, that photography includes Himalayan Mountain Landscapes. I do not print very often, but in the future may. My budget is that the R5 is out right now, but the R6 and R are "in" the realm. 

 

I will DEFINITELY watch the video that you included. Thank-you for that!


I am not specifically "down" on 20MP per se. But the only reason I have not yet upgraded to mirrorless was financial. My 6D has had to work for me up to this point. I know that the 6DII, 5D Mark IV and the EOS R are ALL "better" in terms of MP IQ. But again, I've not been able to upgrade. I am happy with most images, but certainly not the focal points of the 6D. That is an area where the EOS R thrilled me as I read more about it online. 

 

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 

 

I've got more lenses than the two I named, but indeed have all along been planning on upgrading to RF lenses as money permits. In particular, I am eyeing the Canon 85mm1.2 RF for portraiture. Pricey, but stunning. So that IS on my radar of needs no matter which mirrorless direction I go.


Current Lenses (All Canon)

50mm 1.8 STM

135mm 2.0 L

16-35mm 4.0 L

70-200mm 4.0 L

24-105mm 4.0 L

85mm 1.8


Thanks again for your input and share, Tronhard. Can't wait to watch that video.

All My Best!

Scott S

Highlighted
Reputable Contributor
Posts: 501
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch


@ScottS wrote:

 

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 


DPReview just posted a fantastic and glowing review of the R6, which was filmed with a pre-production R5. The guys make some excellent points in it, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in the camera to take a look at it. 

 

I suspect that many will be disappointed at first in the 20MP spec. I had hoped that we'd see at least a 30MP sensor as we have in the R. But as always the early rumors from the reliable Canon sources were spot on in regard to the specs, including the sensor. However, it is nearly identical to the one in the 1DX III, according to Canon and nearly every other camera authority who has any credibility. However, for some, the 20MP might not cut it. For most of us, the R6 is going to be a fabulous camera. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎09-07-2014

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch


@John_SD wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

 

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 


DPReview just posted a fantastic and glowing review of the R6, which was filmed with a pre-production R5. The guys make some excellent points in it, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in the camera to take a look at it. 

 

I suspect that many will be disappointed at first in the 20MP spec. I had hoped that we'd see at least a 30MP sensor as we have in the R. But as always the early rumors from the reliable Canon sources were spot on in regard to the specs, including the sensor. However, it is nearly identical to the one in the 1DX III, according to Canon and nearly every other camera authority who has any credibility. However, for some, the 20MP might not cut it. For most of us, the R6 is going to be a fabulous camera. 


Thanks for this info, John! I'll definitely give it a look! I appreciate your info and feedback!


Scott S 

Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch


@John_SD wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

 

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 


DPReview just posted a fantastic and glowing review of the R6, which was filmed with a pre-production R5. The guys make some excellent points in it, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in the camera to take a look at it. 

 

I suspect that many will be disappointed at first in the 20MP spec. I had hoped that we'd see at least a 30MP sensor as we have in the R. But as always the early rumors from the reliable Canon sources were spot on in regard to the specs, including the sensor. However, it is nearly identical to the one in the 1DX III, according to Canon and nearly every other camera authority who has any credibility. However, for some, the 20MP might not cut it. For most of us, the R6 is going to be a fabulous camera. 


Generally speaking, the fewer pixels a sensor of a given size has to contend with, the better its low-light performance will be. Could that be the answer in this case (and in that of the 1DX3)?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor
Posts: 813
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch

Hi Bob

That was my thought too. As I recall the R6 pips the R5 with its dynamic range perhaps because of that. It makes sense to make a sensor for sport that can excel in low light situations such as stadia and night events. Given the response to the 1DXIII by the sports community, I think it likely that is the case.
cheers Trevor

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,000
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: EOS R5/R6 launch

[ Edited ]

Measured two (actually three but one was not correctly measured) raw files from R6 that I downloaded from Dpreview. 14,3683 EV at ISO 100 and scaled down to 8 megapixels. Last time I measured 1D X III I got 14,6475 EV. The difference may be due to heat.

 

dynamicrangeR6.png

DCS 3c, DCS 520, D30, D60, 1Ds, 300D, 30D, 1000D IR, 7D, 6D, 6D, M5
15-45/3.5-6.3 IS, 16-35/4 IS, 22/2, 24/1.4 II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 70-200/2.8 IS II, 300/2.8 IS
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement