cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5/R6 launch

John_SD
Whiz

Looking forward Canon's offical online product launch tomorrow. Photos have leaked, and it seems that the EOS R5 and R6 will both have joysticks. I am encouraged that Canon has abandoned the awful and universally panned touchbar. The R5 tech seems more geared to videographers, but that is not surprising given that so many now buy cameras to use as camcorders. Why, I don't know, but that is the trend. The R6 seems more appealing to me as someone who is more interested in photography rather than creating YouTube videos. I think there is still time to sign up for the online launch. 

45 REPLIES 45

@ScottS wrote:

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 

DPReview just posted a fantastic and glowing review of the R6, which was filmed with a pre-production R5. The guys make some excellent points in it, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in the camera to take a look at it. 

I suspect that many will be disappointed at first in the 20MP spec. I had hoped that we'd see at least a 30MP sensor as we have in the R. But as always the early rumors from the reliable Canon sources were spot on in regard to the specs, including the sensor. However, it is nearly identical to the one in the 1DX III, according to Canon and nearly every other camera authority who has any credibility. However, for some, the 20MP might not cut it. For most of us, the R6 is going to be a fabulous camera. 

@John_SD wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

My feeling is that in 2020, I thought the R6 would just come out at least equal to the EOS R in MP. I can't argue that 20MP CAN be "enough," as it has had to be for me up until now. But I reserve the right for my disappointment in what seems lacking. I know the R5 is "the bomb," but again, if I can't afford that, I was hoping the R6 would at least be an improvement in this area. 

DPReview just posted a fantastic and glowing review of the R6, which was filmed with a pre-production R5. The guys make some excellent points in it, and I encourage anyone who has an interest in the camera to take a look at it. 

I suspect that many will be disappointed at first in the 20MP spec. I had hoped that we'd see at least a 30MP sensor as we have in the R. But as always the early rumors from the reliable Canon sources were spot on in regard to the specs, including the sensor. However, it is nearly identical to the one in the 1DX III, according to Canon and nearly every other camera authority who has any credibility. However, for some, the 20MP might not cut it. For most of us, the R6 is going to be a fabulous camera. 

Thanks for this info, John! I'll definitely give it a look! I appreciate your info and feedback!

Scott S 

🙂 

@John_SD wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

Generally speaking, the fewer pixels a sensor of a given size has to contend with, the better its low-light performance will be. Could that be the answer in this case (and in that of the 1DX3)?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob

That was my thought too. As I recall the R6 pips the R5 with its dynamic range perhaps because of that. It makes sense to make a sensor for sport that can excel in low light situations such as stadia and night events. Given the response to the 1DXIII by the sports community, I think it likely that is the case.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard has great follow-up questions, but his video clip kinda says it all wrt the image quality of the 20MP sensor. 

I suppose the only time it might matter is if you need a serious crop on landscape photography where you want the heavily cropped image to retain extreme detail. I'm not a landscape photographer, so I don't know that for sure, though. And even there, not sure how many times that's needed. 

I've done some heavy cropping of sports shots from my 1DX II (20MP) shot at high ISO and not one person has ever said: "Wish I had some more detail in this pic."  So in most of your environments that you list above where you can control lighting and framing, hard to imagine it would be an issue. But one's personal needs/preference is what matters for such things. 

Tronhard has great follow-up questions, but his video clip kinda says it all wrt the image quality of the 20MP sensor. 

I suppose the only time it might matter is if you need a serious crop on landscape photography where you want the heavily cropped image to retain extreme detail. I'm not a landscape photographer, so I don't know that for sure, though. And even there, not sure how many times that's needed. 

I've done some heavy cropping of sports shots from my 1DX II (20MP) shot at high ISO and not one person has ever said: "Wish I had some more detail in this pic."  So in most of your environments that you list above where you can control lighting and framing, hard to imagine it would be an issue. But one's personal needs/preference is what matters for such things. 

I appreciate this share. I do take photos on my India travels, and many times it IS of mountain landscapes. I would hate to lose 10 megapixels of info for possible larger images. But for my portrait photography, it sounds like the R6 could work.

Decisions...

Thanks for your input! 

@coachboz68 wrote:

I appreciate this share. I do take photos on my India travels, and many times it IS of mountain landscapes. I would hate to lose 10 megapixels of info for possible larger images. But for my portrait photography, it sounds like the R6 could work.

Decisions...

Thanks for your input! 

John_SD
Whiz

Speaking of the R5 and R6, Canon Rumors is quoting Canon Japan sources that preorders for BOTH the R5 and R6 have exceeded expectations and that supply may be affected, apologizing in advance for any inconvenience the delays may cause. This, I believe, is the proverbial good news/bad news scenario. 

Since most of the world is in serious danger when going out in public to take photos, I hope that will not lead to either too much frustration at waiting, or inadvisable exposure to the pandemic!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:
Since most of the world is in serious danger when going out in public to take photos, I hope that will not lead to either too much frustration at waiting, or inadvisable exposure to the pandemic!

Thanks, Trevor. I am very careful when out in public, and follow all recomondations from the epidemiologists and virologists. 

However, when I'm out shooting, especially since the pandemic began, I stick to our deserts and wilderness areas, where I am likely the only human within 50 miles. 

Both images shot with my piece of crap T6. 

Valley of the Moon.jpg 

Jacumba Wilderness.jpg

Announcements