cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5/R6 launch

John_SD
Whiz

Looking forward Canon's offical online product launch tomorrow. Photos have leaked, and it seems that the EOS R5 and R6 will both have joysticks. I am encouraged that Canon has abandoned the awful and universally panned touchbar. The R5 tech seems more geared to videographers, but that is not surprising given that so many now buy cameras to use as camcorders. Why, I don't know, but that is the trend. The R6 seems more appealing to me as someone who is more interested in photography rather than creating YouTube videos. I think there is still time to sign up for the online launch. 

45 REPLIES 45

Very wise John. These are wild, lonely and very beautiful places, and your "piece of crap" T6 seems to have done a decent job - at least viewing them through the web!  What lens were you using?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Very wise John. These are wild, lonely and very beautiful places, and your "piece of crap" T6 seems to have done a decent job - at least viewing them through the web!  What lens were you using?

I was using the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. I expect to be parting ways with the T6 and the lens in the not too distant future. For whichever full-frame mirrorless I go with, but likely the R6, I expect to pair it up with the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM to start with. 

I have a couple of those plus the USM version and they are remarkably good lenses for the price point!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:
I have a couple of those plus the USM version and they are remarkably good lenses for the price point!

Yeah, for the money and the limitations of the lens and camera, I have no complaints! I feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of the gear, and it accomplished my goal, which was get comfortable with the basics. In that regard, I am satisifed. Of course, I could be shooting with top of the line Hassleblad or Leica gear and I would only see the errors. It's good to be your own worst critic. The world has too many self-satisfied "artistes."

Yep, I can relate to that! {;-)

cheers, TREVOR

Peter
Authority
Authority

Measured two (actually three but one was not correctly measured) raw files from R6 that I downloaded from Dpreview. 14,3683 EV at ISO 100 and scaled down to 8 megapixels. Last time I measured 1D X III I got 14,6475 EV. The difference may be due to heat.

dynamicrangeR6.png

Announcements