cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5/R6 launch

John_SD
Whiz

Looking forward Canon's offical online product launch tomorrow. Photos have leaked, and it seems that the EOS R5 and R6 will both have joysticks. I am encouraged that Canon has abandoned the awful and universally panned touchbar. The R5 tech seems more geared to videographers, but that is not surprising given that so many now buy cameras to use as camcorders. Why, I don't know, but that is the trend. The R6 seems more appealing to me as someone who is more interested in photography rather than creating YouTube videos. I think there is still time to sign up for the online launch. 

45 REPLIES 45

Roger,

First of all, great images. You are obviously a sports aficionado and for you the 1DXIII is right up your street.

That said, for the general purpose pro and serious enthusiast, the two new R series are hitting a sweet spot, and (IMHO) don't compete with the 1D series, which is way more expensive and designed for a specific market.

Frankly, I think Canon have done a great job with the FF MILC lineup now, and in due course we may see an R1 to do the same thing as your 1DXIII, but with it very recently released, I think it will be around for a while. What I would not be surprised at is a cheaper equivalent to the XXD DSLR range - now there are some cheaper R lenses available, and maybe an equivalent to the 5DsR at some stage...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Tronhard and I expect both Canon and Nikon will have sports/performance oriented DSLR bodies available for quite some time until some important drawbacks can be addressed.  In the 1DX segment, it isn't about whether or not it is mirrorless but how it performs the task at hand regardless of the platform used.  Many people were shocked that the 1DX III was built with a 20 MP sensor when much more dense sensors were available but it is the proper size/density for what it is intended to do.

I expect 10 years from now the camera market is going to be much smaller than it is even today in terms of both unit sales and model variety and the "point and shoot" segment is going to be under fatal pressure soon because too few people want something a little more versatile and capable than their smartphone which is always with them and has wonderful megapixel specs and is perfectly sufficient to keep most casual image grabbers quite happy.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Very nice photos, and I am glad you are enjoying your 1DX III. But let's get real. These are just kids running around on the field. Any top-tier mirrorless and lens in production today could have taken similarly fine photos. 

I expect the R5 and R6 to usher in the end of DSLRs as we know them. Doesn't mean that DSLRs, such as yours, or the D5, D6, or the D850 aren't great cameras and that people still can't take great images with them. But a look at Canon and Nikon's roadmaps and forthcoming mirrorless bodies and lenses confirm that the day of the DSLR is coming to an end, and sooner rather than later. 

@John_SD wrote:

Very nice photos, and I am glad you are enjoying your 1DX III. But let's get real. These are just kids running around on the field. Any top-tier mirrorless and lens in production today could have taken similarly fine photos. 

I expect the R5 and R6 to usher in the end of DSLRs as we know them. Doesn't mean that DSLRs, such as yours, or the D5, D6, or the D850 aren't great cameras and that people still can't take great images with them. But a look at Canon and Nikon's roadmaps and forthcoming mirrorless bodies and lenses confirm that the day of the DSLR is coming to an end, and sooner rather than later. 

You should try out a an L Series lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John,

I shoot a wide range of sports and fortunately I have time to donate to the local high school.  And shooting those kids on the field, when they play at night in a poorly lit high school stadium, is more difficult than shooting pros playing under state of the art lighting and this is where the capabilities of a 1DX III and EF 400 f2.8 pull away from the mirrorless consumer/ "pro-sumer" models. 

For what you shoot, I am sure that any decent mirrorless and decent lens will do fine because it clearly is making you happy but it won't under the conditions that require a 1DX with L series prime tele level of performance.  Removing a mirror doesn't magically improve the IQ since it isn't in the optical path when capturing images.  Removing the dedicated AF sensor does slow down focus acquisition which would be a huge step back from what the 1DX series provides.  Removing the mirror does allow the camera to be smaller, lighter, and cheaper but performance is why people buy 1 series cameras. 

If a mirrorless pro body comes out that provides a real advantage over the DSLR type 1DX family I will be one of the early adopters.  But I won't be buying anything based solely upon "it doesn't have a mirror so it must be better".

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/future-of-dslrs/

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I'm very excited about the new releases. After almost pulling the trigger on the Sony A7R a while back, I'm glad I waited. My use case is that I'm a sports photographer (hobbyist / volunteer) and I love my 1DX II beyond words. I will unlikely be giving it up anytime soon. 

When I'm pulled into non-sporting shoots, that's where I've been waiting for the next-gen mirrorless from Canon and the R6 (on paper anyway) scratches that itch. Can't wait to hear some of the hands-on early adopter reviews! I'm glad to see Canon take this step forward. 

Until then, I'll be more than happy to continue to get shots like this in dreadful high-school stadium lighting with my 1DX II and still look with some envy at those with the model III. 🙂 

2019-10-18 Q-Football-030.jpg

Great capture!  This is a screenshot of the forum from my computer.

FB7753A3-16AB-4245-8C45-27022BFA671C.jpeg

You just may be doing a better job than you realize.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Great capture!  This is a screenshot of the forum from my computer.

You just may be doing a better job than you realize.  

Thanks. The kid really loved it, too. 🙂 I played college ball and coached for a long time, so I have a good sense of the shots kids will like for football.

I had a 7D (mark i) for about 10 years before going to the 1DX II and the latter was just a game changer. I am still amazed at its focus capabilities and low-light performance at those high school stadiums. And ergonomically, it now just feels like an extension of my hand. Can't even imagine the mark iii! 

It also did great for my daugthers' gymnastics. Makes lighting at HS football fields feel like you're standing on the sun. Atrocious at the club level, much better lighting in college where one of my daugther's landed for gymnastics. But those club meets... put every part of my patience and "skill" to the test for action shots. 

I can see a day where I'm using the 1DX for all the action shots and the R-series for the more natural stuff on the sidelines and whatnot. 

Great shot Coach! 

Rodger

ScottS
Enthusiast

I'm looking to step into the mirrorless world within the next year ($$$), and had my eyes on the Canon EOS-R. But hearing and reading ALL the hype about the improvements coming (IBIS, Dual Card Slots, Improved IQ, Video Enhancements, & More) held my purchase.

Now that the Canon EOS R5 & R6 are official, I have a question for those of you wishing to chime in.

At this point, I am a Senior Portrait Photographer, with a few Family Sessions & Event Sessions in. Not a wedding photographer, but definitely also a Travel Photographer as a Co-Leader to the Indian Himalayas.

I own a Canon 6D (time to upgrade, I know, but $$$$$). My lenses include the 85mm1.8, 135mm2.0, Nifty Fifty, and some 4.0F-stops (Lightweight for Travel 70-200L,  and the 16-35L.) As video is not a necessity for me yet, and IQ IS king for me, am I wrong in being disappointed with the 20.1 megapixel release on the EOS-R6? The EOS-R has 30.3. 

I know the features are RICH on the R5, even the R6. And for many, the IBIS and Dual Card Slots are the deal-breaker.

For me at this time, those are not. What IS a deal-maker for me....is IQ.

Now to my question:

As the R5 is out of my financial option for now, is the Canon EOS-R a better choice for me than the EOS-R6 given those qualifications?

It seems to me it is.

Thanks for your input :)!!

Scott S

Announcements