cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Problem downloading video.

JohnKentHill
Contributor

I recorded a short video on my R5.  I'm able to play it on my camera but when I connect the camera to my desktop, the video show 0 bytes in the folder.  I'm unable to download it to my desktop.  Suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How are you downloading it to the desktop?

What OS?

The desktop is running Windows 10.  I'm connecting with the Canon supplied USB cable straight from the camera to the desktop.  I'll try a different computer, and maybe try I'll Canon Connect to see if I get different results.  I've download a few videos before, perhaps this is a fluke.

Do you have a card reader available?

I don't have a card reader for CFepress...yet.  I'm confident I'll be getting one in the very near future.  😉 

JohnKentHill
Contributor

As a follow up to this thread:  I downloaded and installed Canon's OS Utility 3.13.10 for Windows.  After doing so, I was able to open that application and download the video file to my computer.  

Thank you so much for this. I just shot video of a wedding ceremon, and the speeches, and my videos showed up as 0 bytes as well. I was prepping to tell the bride and groom no bueno on the video. Downloaded the app, and presto, i have video!!!! Guess i will be investing in a card readersooner than expected.

gillibrend
Apprentice

Yes. I had this problem too with my Canon EOS R5.

I had recorded several clips and when I moved the files via a USB-C cable from my Camera to my PC around 50 percent of the files were 0kb files and were corrupt. Since i moved the files from the camera (CTRL + X) and didn't copy them, the information was completely gone.

However, if you did copy the files to your PC you can use Canon EOS Utility software to manually download the corrupted files from the camera and then it should work.

THE FIX FOR THE PROBLEM IS HERE: This problem only occurs when I move files with the USB-C cable and not when I use the CF-express card reader. Therefore I strongly recommend every Canon EOS R5 and R6 user to get yourself a card reader. I have the sony one and it works perfectly fine and moves files very quickly.

edreessen
Apprentice

I had the same issue. Had no problem ingesting photos from my R5 onto my computer via the SD card and a card reader. When I finally got a CF express card and recorded some video footage I discovered that my computer couldn't see the files using that same method. I downloaded the Canon utility app and I can now ingest video using the app and plugging the camera directly into my computer, but it still doesn't work with the card reader. I would much rather use a card reader than plugging into my camera every time. Anyone figure out a solution? Thanks in advance.

Announcements