cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 ISO Noise

BobK1
Contributor

Greetings...I have the R5 and I'm an seeing at 100% crop a significant amount of noise at fairly low ISO settings. In the latest, II shot some images in my kitchen yesterday on the R5 with the RF 15-35 /2.8 at ISO 640 to 1600 1/50sec. Zoomed to 100% I am really surprised at the amountof grain at those settings. Going to give canon a call but wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues. Images are fine at ISO 100 but anything over 400 and I start seeing grain/noise.

Thanks

Bob

49 REPLIES 49

Does your camera look worse than the images here?

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r5.htm

I would say yes....there is more in my photos. But he only shoots in jpeg, would that make a difference compaired to raw images uncorrected

@BobK1 wrote:

I would say yes....there is more in my photos. But he only shoots in jpeg, would that make a difference compaired to raw images uncorrected

It could, depending on the in-camera settings he has applied.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi,

I have been trying to learn this camera as fast as I can. I did read that there will be considerable noise with the long shutter speeds, so low light or astro will put noise in. I like to shoot landscapes in the evening so I will soon see... since the weather here in Washington has been so bad I have yet had a chance for a sunset. Hope you get it worked out. Ohhh there is a Facebook group that has been the most helpful and many experienced people with great ideas. You should check them out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canonr5shooters

shimaner
Apprentice

I still own the Canon 5D Mark IV and shot more than 20,000 images almost exclusively at ISO 1600.  I never noticed much noise, in fact, I often marveled about how great the noise performance was.  However, with the Canon R5, I definitely see more noise at ISO 1600.  At first I thought it was just shots with more shadow area, but after about 1500 shots of all sorts of subjects, I am convinced that the R5 generates more random noise than my old 5DM4.  I shoot RAW and jpeg's simultaneously and both formats show the extra noise.

I will be setting up some simultaneous photo shoots where all the lighting and the camera settings will be identical to see if I am just imagining things or if the noise performance of the R5 is actually not as good.  Maybe it is just a perception thing.

I also own the 1DX Mark III and the noise performance is similar or maybe a bit better than the 5DM4 at ISO 1600.  Again this is a casual observation after about 2500 shots.

@shimaner wrote:

I still own the Canon 5D Mark IV and shot more than 20,000 images almost exclusively at ISO 1600.  I never noticed much noise, in fact, I often marveled about how great the noise performance was.  However, with the Canon R5, I definitely see more noise at ISO 1600.  At first I thought it was just shots with more shadow area, but after about 1500 shots of all sorts of subjects, I am convinced that the R5 generates more random noise than my old 5DM4.  I shoot RAW and jpeg's simultaneously and both formats show the extra noise.

I will be setting up some simultaneous photo shoots where all the lighting and the camera settings will be identical to see if I am just imagining things or if the noise performance of the R5 is actually not as good.  Maybe it is just a perception thing.

I also own the 1DX Mark III and the noise performance is similar or maybe a bit better than the 5DM4 at ISO 1600.  Again this is a casual observation after about 2500 shots.

The complaint is too much noise, even at ISO 100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Greetings...I have the R5 and I'm an seeing at 100% crop a significant amount of noise at fairly low ISO settings. In the latest, II shot some images in my kitchen yesterday on the R5 with the RF 15-35 /2.8 at ISO 640 to 1600 1/50sec. Zoomed to 100% I am really surprised at the amountof grain at those settings. Going to give canon a call but wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues. Images are fine at ISO 100 but anything over 400 and I start seeing grain/noise.

He's my origional post! why don't you read it before making stupid replys and Stop trying to hepl Since you only seem to want to give arrogant replys.

GO HELP SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!

How in the world is my post about my experience with the Canon 5D, 5R and 1D an issue.  I wasn't being arrogant; I was agreeing that there appears to be more noise in a 5R.

That stupid comment about the doctor, walking in the park and buying a canon was not made by me.  That is a reply from someone else.

Geesh.

Hi Sorry I was glad to see your post it was the reply from " Waddizzle" that I object to. Read his post on this thread...

@BobK1 wrote:

He's my origional post! why don't you read it before making stupid replys and Stop trying to hepl Since you only seem to want to give arrogant replys.

GO HELP SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!

My apologies.  It was the individual who had hijacked the thread who had complained about ISO 100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements