cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 ISO Noise

BobK1
Contributor

Greetings...I have the R5 and I'm an seeing at 100% crop a significant amount of noise at fairly low ISO settings. In the latest, II shot some images in my kitchen yesterday on the R5 with the RF 15-35 /2.8 at ISO 640 to 1600 1/50sec. Zoomed to 100% I am really surprised at the amountof grain at those settings. Going to give canon a call but wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues. Images are fine at ISO 100 but anything over 400 and I start seeing grain/noise.

Thanks

Bob

49 REPLIES 49

@PatriciaThomas wrote:

Yes, sorry. This image is a crop. 1250 I could use without any problems with my other canon bodies. The first week with my new camera I didn't have problems but now problems seem to be multiplying daily. Freezing/locking up, yellow casting and excessive noise during burst modes and lens wide open (half are good, the other half will be casted but it is not banding and in natural light).

The camera has a normal resolution of 8192 x 5464.  You have cropped it rather severely, 688 x 496.  No digitial image looks good with that much cropping.  I agree.  It does not look good.  I would not expect it to.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks I appreciate your thoughts. I am not using full image but rather the 1.6 so the image was about half the size you state.

Also, any thoughts on the banding/yellow cast with excessive noise and the locking up every time  take it out and shoot?

Here is one at 800 ISO uncropped and I did a compression of 5/jpg in case there was a file size issue with uploading in here. I am looking at his face, the color and noise is terrible. I really want it to be user error for I don't want to sent this back for it took 3 months to get it. test knightley.jpg

@PatriciaThomas wrote:

Here is one at 800 ISO uncropped and I did a compression of 5/jpg in case there was a file size issue with uploading in here. I am looking at his face, the color and noise is terrible. I really want it to be user error for I don't want to sent this back for it took 3 months to get it. test knightley.jpg

There is nothing really wrong with this image.  It could have been better composition-wise.  But, there is nothing really wrong with the camera and lens that captured this photo.

When you zoom into the face, you are looking at 1-5% of the total image.  If you wanted a close up of the face, then use a longer focal length so that the face fills the viewfinder when you take the photo.

"Crop in the camera, not in post."

That is an old phrase that says do not do pretty much what you are doing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey Patricia, did you use Lightroom for this RAW conversion?

If so, try Canon DPP instead, see if it helps! 

Thanks Shawn, I appreciate your input. Between the locking up, yellow casting, and distortions with noise at low settings b&h took the camera back. It is in the mail today. Lots of users in another forum helped me problem solve and most determined it was a bad camera (over 7 times locking up in just a few days). It ran good for the first day or two then it started acting up bad. I have thrown out hundreds of images that are no good. sigh... now the long wait again to get a replacement.

Wow, sounds really bad what you went through. Sorry that happened to you, no one should have to go through that. Really sad for you honey! I hope things get better for you soon.Smiley Happy

FYI... I have had my new camera for a week and shooting every moment I can and have had zero problems! Plus in my "down time" of not having my camera I read, and read, and read everything I could and learned a lot which is helping too. Thanks for your help and concern!

RichLewis
Apprentice

I have been noticing this too. I tested the EOS-R through CMS and found it to have amzaing noise control up to about ISO6400. I was excited about the R5 thinking it would be better, It is not. I could post photos but I've seen noise at ISO400 at reasonable exposures. A couple of night shoots and the noise was the same as I had gotten with a 5D MkIV. Not that it is bad, but you'd expect this to be a vast improvment, especially when lookint at some of the Full Frame mirrorless competitors. 

Announcements