cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 ISO Noise

BobK1
Contributor

Greetings...I have the R5 and I'm an seeing at 100% crop a significant amount of noise at fairly low ISO settings. In the latest, II shot some images in my kitchen yesterday on the R5 with the RF 15-35 /2.8 at ISO 640 to 1600 1/50sec. Zoomed to 100% I am really surprised at the amountof grain at those settings. Going to give canon a call but wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues. Images are fine at ISO 100 but anything over 400 and I start seeing grain/noise.

Thanks

Bob

49 REPLIES 49

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This might be related to the type of lighting  in the kitchen.  Was it natural lighting?

Can you post a pic for us.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Thanks for the reply...some incandesent and led lighting. Here is a jpeg of one of the shots.0L3A5846.jpg

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is it worse than what you see on this page?

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r5.htm

Yes much worse than that at the same ISO's. Called Canon today and I am sending it in to have them look at it. I'll update once I hear back

Just out of curiosity, in the 100% crop you posted above, where are you seeing excessive noise? Maybe it's my monitor or my eyes or your jpeg processing or maybe things got smoothed our a bit when you uploaded this image here. But when viewed at 100% on my end this shot looks incredibly clean to me for being shot at 1600 ISO. Plus being shot with mixed ambient lighting with what appears to be a fairly wide dynamic range. Am I missing something here?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@BobK1 wrote:

Greetings...I have the R5 and I'm an seeing at 100% crop a significant amount of noise at fairly low ISO settings. In the latest, II shot some images in my kitchen yesterday on the R5 with the RF 15-35 /2.8 at ISO 640 to 1600 1/50sec. Zoomed to 100% I am really surprised at the amountof grain at those settings. Going to give canon a call but wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues. Images are fine at ISO 100 but anything over 400 and I start seeing grain/noise.

Thanks

Bob

It's normal for digital cameras to show increased noise as ISO increases.  I think your expectations are too high.  

Do you shoot as JPG or RAW?  The in-camera JPG processing should be pretty good when it comes noise reduction, and the RAW processing by Canon's DPP4 software should be even better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

hi,

I don't think my expectations are too high. I do shoot raw and use lightroom and Photoshop. Looked at similar images from Dustain Abbotts reviews on this camera, mine at the same ISO are so bad. You should see minimal noise and grain on this camera below 640-800 ISO. But thanks for the comment

@BobK1 wrote:

hi,

I don't think my expectations are too high. I do shoot raw and use lightroom and Photoshop. Looked at similar images from Dustain Abbotts reviews on this camera, mine at the same ISO are so bad. You should see minimal noise and grain on this camera below 640-800 ISO. But thanks for the comment

Contact Caoon Support, and let them test and inspect your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just to be clear, I'm not being critical of your observations. I've never even shot an R series Canon or spent much time studying its performance claims and improvements.

It's just that I've studied your sample pic at 100% and pored over shadow, highlight and mid-tone areas and find it acceptably clean to my eyes. But then I'm still occasionally amazed by how well my 60D handles noise at 3200 if the lighting is decent and I hit the exposure pretty close.

Announcements