Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: EOS R5 Connectivity Issue

Adding for clarity that while the battery is likely not the issue, at least on the larger scale. I have been using exclusively the new batteries 100% of the time and the issue persists. Glad there's a new update though
Occasional Contributor

This has been and continues to be a problem.  Canon is doing NOTHING to come up with a solution.  I was going to get a second R5 to replace and earlier EOS.  I am just going to hold off and perhaps looks for an alternative camera platform.

Occasional Contributor

My issue was temporarily solved during a session with Canon support though we didn't make any change. Iy just started working and the support told the joke "because you called Canon".
My issue was later permanently resolved after applying the later firmware. No special mentions were in the update notes. It was probably cleaning some bad files or cache in the system and the issue was gone.
Occasional Contributor

I applied the update and STILL CANNOT CONNECT with wi-fi.There has to be a BASIC design flaw in how wi-fi finds and connects to a local mesh network,  I do NOT have the problem with any other device other than the R5. 

It would be nice if we got an answer from Canon on how they propose to fix the problem. Or they should STOP advertizing that there is  wi-fi connectivity.

Occasional Contributor

I noticed the same problem with my R6 and wifi, I do have a Mist Wifi network which consist of 3 AP, and you can tell from the selection screen that it shows all different AP SSID with the different channels as different networks.  The camera is most likely not being able to connect because of the way multiple AP are being advertised on the same SSID.   Many times I power on the camera and I get err64 , under the details when pressing the info utton it says "cannot connect to WLAN".  Usually I get it to connect by going under "switch network" then go through the prompts again and then on the next power on it will upload the images to image.canon cloud service.   I'm on firmware 1.2.0, have not tried 1.3.1 yet.  I will try calling canon support to report the issue.

New Contributor

I have the same problem too, even though my R5 was upgraded to 1.3.1 version this problem still exists. I think it should be related with home mesh wifi network, it can get wifi access points correctly in some university campus or homes with single wifi router.

New Contributor

well,after countless attempts and calls to my local canon store i finaly found this post,,,,and guess what!!!!yes i changed the battery to the lp-e6nh and BINGO,,i have made the connection.thank you FRED sherlock holmes would be proud of your sluething skills.how the hell they get the camera to recognise a battery type?.as yo say,more inflated income for canon.thanks again Fred,stuart,UK.
Occasional Contributor

I haven’t noticed a difference in batteries. I still get the issue no matter what battery.
New Contributor

My pleasure! I guess this hasn't solved everyones problems. but it made all the difference in making it work for me. Glad it helped you, too!

New Contributor

I've been following this thread and wanted to report that I think the new R6 1.4 firmware seems to have fixed this issue finally. When I first got my R6 I had the 1st generation Eero system and then moved to the Linksys Velop system. With both systems my R6 would get stuck searching for wifi. Today, after installing the new firmware, it appears to be working on my network finally. Hopefully someone else can report the same and that should mean the August R5 firmware will fix this issue for it as well.