cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Connectivity Issue

oruilio
Contributor

Hi guys,

My EOS R5 cannot connect to any device (Macbook, iPhone, iPad) to transfer images.

When it is connected to Macbook the EOS Utility 3 does not recognize it. Even sometimes EOS Utility 3 recognized it the error occurs during starting transferring images.

When it is connected to the iPhone or iPad through Canon's Camera Connect app a similar error would occur during starting transfer images from R5 to the mobile device and the connection would be lost.

All the applications from Mac or iOS devices are updated to the latest version. My R5 worked yesterday. I have no clue what has been changed.

Now I cannot transfer any image from R5 to other devices using any application made by Canon. All the methods told by Canon's website have been applied in attempts of solving the issue. I can connect the R5 to my iPad Pro and import the images in the Photo app, which works perfectly.

Is there anyone having a similar issue?

Updates on 09-26 2020:

After quite a while since the post was created on 08-13 the issue persists. Bluetooth connectivity never worked. WIFI connectivity can be successful but unstable. The "target not found" error frequently happens in R5 when EOS utility is being used to transfer images and videos via WIFI connectivity between R5 and Macbook pro (Catalina 10.15.6). After not using the wireless connectivity feature for weeks it might work once with no issue when I tried. Once it worked with no issue for once it becomes unstable and unusable with errors.

The worst part of this issue is that Canon may not be able to reproduce the same issue on their end. Moreover, it is not persistent. I can only hope that Canon will eventually find out the defect they introduce in the software or hardware and fix it in the later framework update.

Upddates on 04-05 2021:

My issue was mainly the unusable conectivity with any type of connection between the EOS R5 and the computer/iPhone/iPad including USB-C cable, wifi and bluetooth.

The issue was significant while the USB-C cable was not working. I couldn't use any feature from the EOS utility like taking live shots from control of the computer or importing any photos/videos from the camera to computer/mobile devices. I had to use card readers to import my work every time. Later, I found that Imagin Capture or Google Photo app can actually detect the photos from the R5 via USB-C connection though Canon's EOS utility cannot detect the camera. The issue ws definitely only caused by the code in EOS Utility app of both Mac and iOS versions, not the USB-C connectivity.

The USB-C cable connectivity started working since the update of firmware 1.2.0. There was no clude how it was fixed for my camera as there is nothing mentioned in the update notes related to the connectivity issue. It magically started working with no issues in the use of all features of EOS utility.

Even nowadays I still haven't tried to use any wireless connectivity of R5. I don't have the confidence in the stability any more. Instead of wasting time to debug any protential issue I am just always using the USB-C cable for the connectivity.

68 REPLIES 68

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you connecting to the MacBook using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB?

Apparently, something has changed recently.  It is a pretty safe bet that nothing changed in the R5.  Obviously then, something changed within the MacBook.  Apple users are always running into this problem.  Apple updates their OS, and stuff stops working.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tried to connect to MacBook using wifi and USB. Tried the reset of network settings. Maybe i can try to reset the R5.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you are using USB, make sure it is not one of those cursed charging cables.

You should not need any Canon applications or drivers. Launch Image Capture and then plug in the camera.

I carefully picked the usb-c cable that is coming with the original R5 box for the wired connection. Basically all the application made by Canon don't work for my R5 while the application made by other developer can work like Photo from Apple.

I tested my EOS RP by connecting to the same mobile app in my iOS device. It works. So there might be a compatibility issue between R5 and the current version of Canon applications.

oruilio
Contributor

I just upgraded my Macbook to Catalina 10.15.6 (forgot what version it was). Then the EOS Utility 3 start working again! I hope that the issue is no more. Will update if the issue occurs again.

I just took some photo and wanted to use the EOS utility in my Macbook again. And it failed. Definitely there is a bug in either the app of MacOS or the network system of R5.

ParkCityGuy
Contributor

When I look at my account on the service portal.  It shows NOTHING was done to the camera.  It does not even show that the camera was sent in for service.  The phone number that was used was 435 xxx-xxxx.

There was NO note in the box with the camera to say what if anything was done. It looks like they did not duplicate the problem, did not call me directly to explain what they did to make it work, and just sent the camera back.

1. The wifi screen continues to say “Searching…” It NEVER CONNECTS.  THERE IS DEFECT WITH THE WiFi or the connectivity in general. I have never seen a network that was created by the camera.
  2. Bluetooth DOES NOT connect.  When I use the utility to try to connect my phone I get the message on the camera “Connection Target No found.  – I did notice (during the pairing process with the Canon Connect) when I went to the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone it showed the phone and the camera were “paired”.  However, neither the Canon Connect app on the iPhone nor the eos r5 recognized the pairing.

I guess this camera needs to go back AGAIN. This time BEFORE it is sent back to me, please have the repair person CONTACT me to verify that something was done and that the camera connectivity works.  If nothing is done to the camera firmware or hardware and the tech gets it to work, have tech produce a video showing that it works with both an iPhone and Windows 10 PC for wifi and Bluetooth.

I have printed out all 919 pages of the manual and tried everything and have yet to see the camera’s wifi network. I have even shut down my Comcast router to validate that my network at this end is not a problem. 

For all the money this camera cost it is doorstop in terms of connectivity. Is there anyone at Canon that know what they are doing.

I posted this note because when I last talked to the tech support guy he said there were a number of poeple who had the same connectivity problem with the R5.  I would love to know if anyone has been able to connect an iPhone, iPad, and or a Windows 10 (64bit) via the Canon Connect utility.

@ParkCityGuy wrote:

When I look at my account on the service portal.  It shows NOTHING was done to the camera.  It does not even show that the camera was sent in for service.  The phone number that was used was 435 xxx-xxxx.

There was NO note in the box with the camera to say what if anything was done. It looks like they did not duplicate the problem, did not call me directly to explain what they did to make it work, and just sent the camera back.

1. The wifi screen continues to say “Searching…” It NEVER CONNECTS.  THERE IS DEFECT WITH THE WiFi or the connectivity in general. I have never seen a network that was created by the camera.
  2. Bluetooth DOES NOT connect.  When I use the utility to try to connect my phone I get the message on the camera “Connection Target No found.  – I did notice (during the pairing process with the Canon Connect) when I went to the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone it showed the phone and the camera were “paired”.  However, neither the Canon Connect app on the iPhone nor the eos r5 recognized the pairing.

I guess this camera needs to go back AGAIN. This time BEFORE it is sent back to me, please have the repair person CONTACT me to verify that something was done and that the camera connectivity works.  If nothing is done to the camera firmware or hardware and the tech gets it to work, have tech produce a video showing that it works with both an iPhone and Windows 10 PC for wifi and Bluetooth.

I have printed out all 919 pages of the manual and tried everything and have yet to see the camera’s wifi network. I have even shut down my Comcast router to validate that my network at this end is not a problem. 

For all the money this camera cost it is doorstop in terms of connectivity. Is there anyone at Canon that know what they are doing.

It sounds as though you think you are talking to Canon Support. You are not. You are talking to Canon users like yourself and to a Canon moderator whose main purpose is to see that we stay on topic and don't insult each other. If you need to talk to Canon Support, you should probably call them on the phone. The number is posted on their Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements