cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R with aftermarket LP-E6N batteries

advrider329
Apprentice

I am getting an odd behavior from my EOS 5 (firm 1.4 - trying to update it now) with BM LP-E6N batteries from amazon.  These batteries work fine i my 7D.

When i put them in the EOS R, if I do so with the power off (like i normally would) then when i turn the power on nothing happens.  The Screen shows the M, but it won't turn on.  But if I have the power switched on when i install the battery, the camera turn on and works.  But if I turn it off, it will not turn on again.

Does anyone know a compatibility issue with aftermarket batteries?  I am waiting for my OEM batter to charge so i can upgrade my firmware and try the BM batteries again.  But i though I would ask while i wait.

Thanks

Gerald

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the info.  As it may be it was not the battery after all.  

I had a very old EF 28mm 2.8 using the control ring adapter and for some reason it was not triggering the camera to go on. If I took the lens off and back on with the camera on, the camera wouild turn on.  Once i changed to a different (newer) lens the camera worked as normal.

I still don't know if those batteries will work, but at least they were not thsi issue.  I will test the batteries and see if they work.  

And I agree, any new batteries will be canon orginal, it is not worth the headache dealing with cheap knock offs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@advrider329 wrote:

I am getting an odd behavior from my EOS 5 (firm 1.4 - trying to update it now) with BM LP-E6N batteries from amazon.  These batteries work fine i my 7D.

When i put them in the EOS R, if I do so with the power off (like i normally would) then when i turn the power on nothing happens.  The Screen shows the M, but it won't turn on.  But if I have the power switched on when i install the battery, the camera turn on and works.  But if I turn it off, it will not turn on again.

Does anyone know a compatibility issue with aftermarket batteries?  I am waiting for my OEM batter to charge so i can upgrade my firmware and try the BM batteries again.  But i though I would ask while i wait.

Thanks

Gerald

A firmware update is not going to fix problems with incompatible batteries.  If the batteries do not work, take it up with the company that made them.  If you want batteries that work, then use genuine Canon batteries.

BTW,Amazon was not the same company when the 7D was new, compared to today.  Due to the widespread proliferation of counterfeit Canon batteries from online vendors like Amazon, Canon seems to have made some changes to their batteries so that cameras can detect genuine batteries from knockoffs and counterfeits.  

In other words, just because a battery may work in an old 7D is meaningless, because it lacks the battery technology that Canon builds into the latest bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the info.  As it may be it was not the battery after all.  

I had a very old EF 28mm 2.8 using the control ring adapter and for some reason it was not triggering the camera to go on. If I took the lens off and back on with the camera on, the camera wouild turn on.  Once i changed to a different (newer) lens the camera worked as normal.

I still don't know if those batteries will work, but at least they were not thsi issue.  I will test the batteries and see if they work.  

And I agree, any new batteries will be canon orginal, it is not worth the headache dealing with cheap knock offs.

Announcements