cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R white balance issue

Rick7S
Contributor
I own a 5D and a 5D mark II, for several years i have used a lastolite gray target with a white side on reverse, ima studio shooter so lighint is pretty much a controlled environment, i bought the EOS R and since i started shooting with this camera for some reason the white balance is all over the place, i shoot the gray and the white targets and when i go to lightroom and use the dropper on the targets images come put super yellow and redtones on the skin look weird, im not knew at this process as im a photographer for 10 years now, could something be wrong with the camera? I performe the shots ln gray target with 5d and immediately with the eos r and its totally wrong the white balance, am i doing sonething wrong with this new system?
18 REPLIES 18

Sounds like the cause!

But this sentence is key and is exactly how I see things when using Adobe software.

"I wouldn't expect the WB values to match your in-camera setting exactly, but they should be reasonably close."

Canon does not document how their Raw files work. Adobe has to 'best guess'. As do all other post editors. Whether you like or not like how Adobe does this is up to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would see what you get in DPP4. After you know how it handles your images shot in Raw then you can see any difference in LR.  

Would there be anything to gain if you first set your exposure with your subject in the frame and then have your subject hold the gray card in the frame for you to get your W/B under the same lighting and exposure conditions?

@BurnUnit wrote:

Would there be anything to gain if you first set your exposure with your subject in the frame and then have your subject hold the gray card in the frame for you to get your W/B under the same lighting and exposure conditions?

He's a baby photographer. Getting his subjects to hold a gray card for him may be a formidable task.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... have your subject hold the gray card in the frame for you to get your W/B ..."

OP is using Raw format.  There is no WB when using Raw.  Having an 18% gray card anywhere in the shot will allow LR/PS or DPP4 to set WB in post.  Actually that is where it belongs anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

He's a baby photographer. Getting his subjects to hold a gray card for him may be a formidable task.

LOL! Now that you mention it, I think I recall seeing that earlier in the thread. Guess I was just thinking of the young lady that appeared in the couple of sample shots that he'd posted. Smiley Embarassed

@BurnUnit wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

LOL! Now that you mention it, I think I recall seeing that earlier in the thread. Guess I was just thinking of the young lady that appeared in the couple of sample shots that he'd posted. Smiley Embarassed

Actually, should not the WB be measured, and checked, before the customer even shows up in your studio.  You should have total control over the lighting.  Just how much is WB going to vary, anyway?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JosephWade
Apprentice

I am considerably late to the party, but if you happen to see this responce, what off cameral flash trigger system do you use? I am using the flashpoint r2 pro mk 2. when i had the trigger turned it off, everything was balanced white with white priority correctly straight out of camera. But when I turned it on, for some reason it adjusted the kelvin probably 2k kelvin warmer than it actually was. It took flashpoint some time to acknowledge the issue, If youre using something like godox or some similar transmitting system and would like to know the fix I used I will be happy to help.

Announcements