cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R video crop with Digital IS

docusync
Enthusiast

Hi Canon crowd!

Can someone please explain how the digital IS works?

I've noticed it adds some crop to the 1080p video if I enable Digital IS (and even more crop with advanced IS) which is understandable assuming the FF video takes the full sensor width and it needs some space to compesate for the movements.

But I don't understand why the digital IS adds more crop to the existing 1.74x crop in 4k? Shouldn't it use the area outside of the 4k rectangle for the IS compesation? I would assume the camera would move the active video rectangle and do not borrow pixels from the tiny 4k area? Or that's not the case?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi docusync,

Thanks for posting!

When it comes to using the Digital IS feature the portion of the sensor used for the Digital IS buffer zone must be the same video quality as the core footage.

Trying to stabilize a 4K video with an HD buffer zone (cropped area) wouldn't look right around the edges where the HD Digital IS compensation would be occurring, if it is even possible. I have not heard of having both HD and 4K footage intermixed in that fashion.

If you have more questions our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi William,

Thank you for your reply!

I apologize, I probably tried to put lots of things in one question 🙂

I don't have any questions about FHD stabilization and crop. My question is about 4K. Why does the camera need an extra crop if the 4k area is cropped already, and if the camera can read movements from the gyroscope - why it can't simply reposition the active video area instead of borrowing pixels from it? Hope this simple illustration makes sense.

Thank you!

canon.png

Announcements