cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R timelapse settings for sunrise

GroomsPhotos
Contributor

i want to shoot an in camera sunrise time lapse on a tripod with a fixed aperture. or sunset to but mostly sunrise.

i am using a 2 second interval and 3600 exposures. i would like the camera to vary the shutter speed and iso. i would like to set the initial exposure at 2 seconds or 1 second and whatever iso that would be and varying the iso until it was 100 and only then changing the shutter speed faster and faster.it set to vary the iso but can not figure out how to vary the shutter speed.

Is this possible?

it seems whichever video mode i am in once i go into timelapse mode i can not change the shutter speed but it will shoot with auto iso.

i have tried using different video modes before going into the timelapse mode to no avail.

19 REPLIES 19

i have the camera set for auto iso.

there is no auto shutter speed as far as i can deterninge.

Canon engineers where are you?

Help

@GroomsPhotos wrote:

i have the camera set for auto iso.

there is no auto shutter speed as far as i can deterninge.

Canon engineers where are you?

Help

Thanks for the ISO setting info.

You may not fully understand how the different Creative modes work.  When you set the camera to Av, the automatically sets the shutter speed.  Av mode allows you to set an aperture value, and the camera will determine a shutter speed for correct exposure.

If you have the camera set for ISO Auto, then the time lapse will use ISO Auto for each frame.  If you want a specific ISO value, the dial in specific ISO value.   When using ISO Auto, you can specify a range of ISO values that the camera can use.

If the camera is capturing a series of correct exposures, then I do not see the problem.  Do not over think it.  There are things about the camera you may not fully understand,yet.  

If you get good results, be happy with them.  Try to figure out why you had good results.  I think wanting to use only ISO 100 for each and every shot over the course of a sunrise or sunset is unrealistic.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lets' think about sunset instead. i have done the time lapse in M mode as well for both sunrise and sunset.

it does not matter which video mode i am in, even in M mode once i put the camera into timelapse mode i can not set the shutter speed for shooting a timelapse, only the aperture and auto iso on or off. it would be better if the shutter speed would change from a long shutter speed and low iso until the light fades where the shutter speed is too long to the time between exposures and then and only then the the iso starts to increase.

i have shot several timelapses and the exposures are correct but it would be so much better at lower isos.

here is an example of a sunrise

https://youtu.be/Wey66B-tCVk

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I told you to use Av mode and manually set ISO several replies ago. You seemed to ignore my advice.

I have not used the R and do not need to. Time-Lapse works the same way on all Canon bodies that have it, including mine.

BTW, I am running LR Classic. Good luck.

i beg to differ. time lapse movie mode does not work the same on all Canon bodies. the OES R has auto ISO which i believe is only also available on the 6D and can change the exposure for each frame and one can also limit the ISO settings for time lapse mode.

My 5Div does not have that capabulity.

@GroomsPhotos wrote:

i beg to differ. time lapse movie mode does not work the same on all Canon bodies. the OES R has auto ISO which i believe is only also available on the 6D and can change the exposure for each frame and one can also limit the ISO settings for time lapse mode.

My 5Div does not have that capabulity.

From the 5D4 Instruction Manual, p379.  

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300024970/01/eos5d-mk4-im-en.pdf 

5D4_MovieMode_ISO_Auto.JPG

All of the cameras that have Time-Lapse Movie Mode work the same way. Why would Canon make it work differently in different cameras?  It makes far more sense for all of them to work the same way, which they do.

I think you meant to say 6D2.  Good Luck

only the 6Dii and the EOS R has the auto ISO setting in time lapse movie mode with a limit. yes, you can limit the max or min iso but not in time lapse movie mode which is what we are discussing.

see the last choice on the menu below. that is not found on other Canon cameras.

20200106_051542.jpg

I recall when you started this post that you were shooting a regular set of time lapse stills.  I don't have an EOS R so I don't know what it does with its mechanical shutter in time lapse mode but if it stays open continuously you need to be extremely careful capturing sunrise/sunset sequences or anything with this sort of high intensity illumination to avoid sensor damage.

If the mechanical shutter stays open in this mode like it does in other normal mirrorless camera modes (or a DSLR in liveview mode) then the sensor is constantly being hit with light focused through the lens even when it is not actually capturing an image.  With excessive illumination, at a minimum you are reducing sensor performance from additional heating which increases random "shot" noise and at worst the sensor will be permanently damaged.

Use caution with this setup!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

thank you Roger. that is a good advice. i will have to stop when the sun comes up.

in my original post i should have said time lapse movie mode. my mistake.

You are welcome!  I wasn't sure from the thread which mode you are using or if it makes a difference in terms of sensor exposure to damage.  With different technology, we have to modify our old procedures and the constantly exposed sensor plays a role.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements