cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R timelapse settings for sunrise

GroomsPhotos
Contributor

i want to shoot an in camera sunrise time lapse on a tripod with a fixed aperture. or sunset to but mostly sunrise.

i am using a 2 second interval and 3600 exposures. i would like the camera to vary the shutter speed and iso. i would like to set the initial exposure at 2 seconds or 1 second and whatever iso that would be and varying the iso until it was 100 and only then changing the shutter speed faster and faster.it set to vary the iso but can not figure out how to vary the shutter speed.

Is this possible?

it seems whichever video mode i am in once i go into timelapse mode i can not change the shutter speed but it will shoot with auto iso.

i have tried using different video modes before going into the timelapse mode to no avail.

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Use Av mode.  Dial in whatever ISO you want.  Set your aperture.  Set "Auto Exposure" to "Each Frame".  

328EE2B1-1991-4A46-AAB2-4B17D5643466.jpeg

I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

those are the settings i have been using. the camera will change the iso but not the shutter speed.

@GroomsPhotos wrote:

those are the settings i have been using. the camera will change the iso but not the shutter speed.

This begs the question what was your ISO setting?  What were all of your exposure settings?

I do not understand why the EOS R does not have an Interval Timer.  That is what many people do.  They use an. Intervalometer to take a series of photos, and then combine them in post.  Nearly all of the recent camera bodies have an Interval Timer in the menus.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Use Av mode.  Dial in whatever ISO you want.  Set your aperture.  Set "Auto Exposure" to "Each Frame".  

I guess.

Do you even understand how the camera works?  I suggested a solution many replies ago.

You say set the camera to M, but then you expect the camera to alter the SS that you have dialed in.  No, the SS will remain at whatever setting you dialed in.  That is what manual mode means.

You say that you want all of the shots to be taken at ISO 100.  Yet, you set ISO to Auto, and then complain that ISO is changing, instead of the SS.  Altering the ISO value from one shot to the next is exactly what ISO Auto does.

I posted a set of camera settings.  You claimed to have use them.  Your most recent comments suggest that you have not even tried them.  I do not know what to say, anymore.

I do understand how the camera settings work. this is a new camera for me but i have used a Canon 5D iii and now iv for many years and shoot mostly in Manual mode.

have you shot the EOS R in Timelapse mode?

timelapse mode will only let you set the aperature and iso to fixed or variable. that will not manage the wide dynamic range from night to day.

the video i posted was only half of the one i shot that day. the next minute the sun came out and blew out the skyl

@GroomsPhotos wrote:

I do understand how the camera settings work. this is a new camera for me but i have used a Canon 5D iii and now iv for many years and shoot mostly in Manual mode.

I am sorry, but I beg to differ.  You really do not have a strong grasp on the basics.  Your complaints that I cited in my previous post illustrate that fact.  This excerpt from you original post is another example.

"i want to shoot an in camera sunrise time lapse on a tripod with a fixed aperture. or sunset to but mostly sunrise.

i am using a 2 second interval and 3600 exposures."

You want to use a shutter speed that is likely to be equal to or longer than your interval.  That is a recipe for no shots ever being captured after the initial shot.

You are stil mystified by the fact that the camera does not automatically adjust SS when your are in Manual mode.  But, your biggest problem is not your lack of knowledge, but the fact that you are not open to new ideas and trying something new.

Good Luck.

i have found a menu setting for setting the maximum ISO for the timelapse mode.

i WAS shooting mostly in Av mode but was experimenting with other modes.  setting the ISO setting to 800 has made the difference in the video quality i was looking for.

Waddizzle- have you ever shot with this camera? have you used the timelapse mode? you did not comment on your erroneous statement about the battery life shooting a timelapse which makes me think you have not used this camera, that and the fact that your non rented verion of LR can not work with the camera.

this video is with the ISO set to a max of 800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whP4-f0xeiU

20200106_051542.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I hope you are using the battery grip, or your battery is going to be drained taking that many shots.  In fact, you want to use the DC coupler and AC adapter.

"This DC Coupler DR-E6 is compatible with select Canon digital cameras. It fits inside the camera's battery compartment and has an attached 7.5' DC cord. This cord plugs into the AC-E6 AC adapter accessory."

the battery is fine taking that many shots. it does and exposure every 2 secons so two hours of shooting. i have the screen set to go off after 15 minuites. the shutter is silent so i believe it is only electronic when doing the time lapse in camera.

Announcements