cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R image sensor

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

I have read a number of posts where long video sessions with a DSLR overheats the CMOS sensor.  So how is this handled in the mirror less EOS R cameras?  My understanding is that the image sensor is on whenever the camera is on.  I also am curious as to how the "electronic shutter" works.  Is it mechanical that is triggered by electronic means or does the camera just capture the sensor data when the "shutter" is pressed?  I would appreciate any information to help me better understand the new EOS R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mirrorless camera use a EVF, electronic viewfinder. In a mirrorless camera, light passes through the lens and right onto the image sensor. There is a second screen inside called the EVF that you look at. In a DSLR, optical VF, you are actually looking through the lens itself.

Personally I see no advantage to mirrorless cameras.  The few benefits they have are out weighed by the disadvantages. Mechanical shutters are still the best choice for flash photography and also when shooting under fluorescent lighting (or any other flickering light source). They are also preferable if you're shooting raw files and want to maintain the maximum bit depth or when you are using wide apertures and want to maintain a soft, undistorted bokeh. They don't suffer form lag time either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

tmc784
Enthusiast

Mirrorless cameras overheat too when prolong video shooting, because they are not design to shoot video.

Get a Gopro 7 black mount on camera hotshoe to shoot 4K video, you will be happy.

Actually not interested in long videos.  Just what is going on with the sensor.  Looked at one today at best buy and it was ok, but not going to leave my 5D Mark IV any time soon.  $3400 for the EOS R camera and a 40-70 f4 seemed rather high.  Also didn't like the slide bar.  Would be a learning curve to get to where I am with my current 5D.

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

Actually not interested in long videos.  Just what is going on with the sensor.  Looked at one today at best buy and it was ok, but not going to leave my 5D Mark IV any time soon.  $3400 for the EOS R camera and a 40-70 f4 seemed rather high.  Also didn't like the slide bar.  Would be a learning curve to get to where I am with my current 5D.

The slide bar and the frame rate are deal breakers for me.  Nope.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I also am curious as to how the "electronic shutter" works."

Other than turning the sensor on for the amount of time asked for by the camera, a mirrorless camera works exactly the same as a mech shutter does. The mirrorless shutter operates by turning the cameras imaging sensor on and off to control exposure.  Its sensor is only on for the brief time of the shot.  Otherwise it is off.  If you use Liveview or video it stays on just like a DSLR.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I also am curious as to how the "electronic shutter" works."

Other than turning the sensor on for the amount of time asked for by the camera, a mirrorless camera works exactly the same as a mech shutter does. The mirrorless shutter operates by turning the cameras imaging sensor on and off to control exposure.  Its sensor is only on for the brief time of the shot.  Otherwise it is off.  If you use Liveview or video it stays on just like a DSLR.

Do you know what sensor it uses for the electronic view finder?  I thought that it used the primary sensor, but that was just a guess.  There is a lot I don't know about the EOS R.

Yes, it uses the primary sensor for the viewfinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(photography)#Electronic_shutter

The R, of course uses a standard shutter and an electronic one. Unlike the Nikon or Sony, the R closes the shutter as the default, protecting it from dust while changing lenses.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Yes, it uses the primary sensor for the viewfinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(photography)#Electronic_shutter

The R, of course uses a standard shutter and an electronic one. Unlike the Nikon or Sony, the R closes the shutter as the default, protecting [the sensor] from dust while changing lenses.

And from damage by excessive light if the camera is inadvertently pointed at the sun?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Mirrorless camera use a EVF, electronic viewfinder. In a mirrorless camera, light passes through the lens and right onto the image sensor. There is a second screen inside called the EVF that you look at. In a DSLR, optical VF, you are actually looking through the lens itself.

Personally I see no advantage to mirrorless cameras.  The few benefits they have are out weighed by the disadvantages. Mechanical shutters are still the best choice for flash photography and also when shooting under fluorescent lighting (or any other flickering light source). They are also preferable if you're shooting raw files and want to maintain the maximum bit depth or when you are using wide apertures and want to maintain a soft, undistorted bokeh. They don't suffer form lag time either.

EB
Announcements