cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R draining battery overnight

zax3303
Contributor

Hi all, my R is draining battery overnight -30%...gps is off, wifi is off, camera is off! Any ideas? Using original LP-E6N battery.

13 REPLIES 13

@zax3303 wrote:

Hi all, my R is draining battery overnight -30%...gps is off, wifi is off, camera is off! Any ideas? Using original LP-E6N battery.

IIRC, there are two levels of "off" for GPS, one of which turns off the computer that determines the camera's position but leaves on the collection of certain background information that makes that determination go faster when the camera is turned back on. So be sure that you have indeed turned GPS completely off.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

zax3303
Contributor
Except having the gps function on "disable", is there another setting?

Make sure both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled, too.  If it still drains overnight, try removing the memory card, and see if it still drains the battery.  If so, you may want to try a spare battery and/or contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The option Bob is referring to is "Mode2", but if you have GPS "disabled" or off, then something else is draining your battery.

WiFi or Bluetooth maybe?

Or there are those who never turn their camera's off, and rely on the "low power state" which only requires that you press a control or depress the shutter halfway to "wake" the camera up.  I personally do not use this option.  When I'm done actively shooting, I turn the camera off. 

Likely causes:

You either have something on, are leaving the camera on and a control is getting bumped, or your battery is shot.

~Wadizzle posted just before I did 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

zax3303
Contributor
Will check, thanks

zax3303
Contributor
All connectivity options are disabled and the camera is turned off from the dial.

What is your battery showing for recharge performance, it is under the battery info heading in the yellow tool tab of the menu section.  If it shows OK here, it still doesn't mean that your battery doesn't have excessive self-discharge behavior but if recharge performance is low then it is a pretty good sign that the battery is degraded.

As a test, fully charge the battery then leave it out of the camera for a couple of days before installing it and see how much of the capacity loss is due to self-discharge.  As batteries age, not only do they lose capacity but also tend to have increased loss of charge even with no load on them.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

zax3303
Contributor
Will do. I just put a new battery in the camera and will check tomorrow. Funny thing is that after 150 shots the battery level is around 40%...i am really worried about having a kind of short circuit in the camera 😞

@zax3303 wrote:
Will do. I just put a new battery in the camera and will check tomorrow. Funny thing is that after 150 shots the battery level is around 40%...i am really worried about having a kind of short circuit in the camera 😞

Running the battery down by taking pictures is a very different phenomenon from having the battery drain overnight. If I recall correctly, the R's viewfinder stays alive for a settable period of time after you take a shot. Setting that to a shorter period may lessen the drain on the battery while the camera is in use. It's just a fact of life that mirrorless cameras are battery hogs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements