cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R aperture locked

SGTMensing
Apprentice

So it might be something simple, I just got an EOS R, and I am trying to adjust my aperture in aperture priority mode, and it is stuck on only one aperture. Like F22 for example. This happens in all the modes, and even if I change the aperture range. Also, I am using the kit Leans that came with the R. 24-105mm. I am a newish photographer, and the last camera I had was T5,  so I wouldn't be surprised if I was missing something easy or simple, but I wanted to make sure.  I also have the latest firmware 1.8. Any ideas or suggestions for me to try? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You might try resetting the camera back to factory defaults, and removing the programming from the aperture ring.

Be sure to cycle power on.off prior to the reset.  Be sure to turn off the camera whenever your change lenses, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Usually in Av mode the aperture can be changed with that top control wheel near your shutter, but this camera is very customizable and that setting can be changed to one of the other rings including the control ring on the lens. Do any of the wheels on the camera body or the control wheel change the aperture or any other values?

Yes, I mapped the mode button wheel to do it and no change, I also tried changing it on the touch screen. It only shows one value. Sometimes the aperture changes when it calculates the other exposure/ISO/Shutter speed, but it always only shows that value that is automatically assigned. If I go into Manual Exposure, or the adaptive exposure It shows the one value and Auto. The control rings do change ISO, and shutter speed and so on if I map it to the retrospective settings. 

You might try resetting the camera back to factory defaults, and removing the programming from the aperture ring.

Be sure to cycle power on.off prior to the reset.  Be sure to turn off the camera whenever your change lenses, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SGTMensing
Apprentice
That worked for me, thank you both, I have no idea what I changed but at least now that is fixed.
Announcements