cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R and back button AF

greggp
Enthusiast

I recently upgraded from my EOS 5D Mk III (and before that a 7D) to a new EOS R. I've always set my AF-On button to focus so I can use the back button focusing technique. With the EOS R, this is already the default and I only had to disable focus from the shutter button to achieve my desired result.

I'm still getting used to the touch screen for setting focus and was wondering if -

Is the back button focus technique even needed if I use the touch screen for focusing? 

I'm still pretty clumsy with the touch screen. I'm used to looking through the viewfinder with my left eye, so I've set the touch focus area to the left side of the screen. If I accidentally bump the screen with my nose, the focus point jumps away. Maybe I should limit the area to the lower-left corner. Also, if I rotate from a landscape orientation to portrait, the touch area is difficult to use.

Any advice?

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz
I've used VF exclusively, so I only use the touch screen to move the focus points. If you are using the touch-focus/shooting with the LCD all the time, then you can reassign the AF-ON button for another function.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I use the viewfinder almost exclusively as well. I do use the LCD touch screen to move focus points but I don't seem to grab focus until I press the AF-On button to focus.

I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong and others are able to use the touchscreen to move focus points and grab focus at the same time.

@greggp wrote:

I use the viewfinder almost exclusively as well. I do use the LCD touch screen to move focus points but I don't seem to grab focus until I press the AF-On button to focus.

I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong and others are able to use the touchscreen to move focus points and grab focus at the same time.

That's because the AF system does not turn on until you turn it on.  Activating metering does not turn on AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didn't say anything about activating metering, just AF. And was wondering if I could set focus points and activate AF simultaneously using the touch screen. Apparently not, I will need to set focus points with the touch screen and activate AF with the AF-On button.

Announcements