cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R and Utility 3 connectivity

hsapir
Apprentice

Utility 3 (latest version) cannot connect to the EOS R.

The camera is connected to an iMac computer using a cable.

The cable supplied with the EOS R is a Type-C to Type-C cable.

Never heard of a computer with a female Type-C connction, so I have connected the camera with a Type-C to Type A cable.

Could this be the issue?

The error message from EOS Utility is "failed to connect the  camera"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there hsapir,

By any chance are you running Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.2? The latest OS update appears to have caused some issues with the USB connection and EOS Utility. With the camera connected you may be able to import your images using Mac's built-in Image Capture app, but I believe Canon's engineers have gotten word on this issue with the most recent update and are working on a fix.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there hsapir,

By any chance are you running Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.2? The latest OS update appears to have caused some issues with the USB connection and EOS Utility. With the camera connected you may be able to import your images using Mac's built-in Image Capture app, but I believe Canon's engineers have gotten word on this issue with the most recent update and are working on a fix.

Possibly the best advice we can give to any newbie is to never buy an Apple computer to use for photo editing. IMO, Apple is the world's foremost enemy of software compatibility.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, for sure running on MAC Catalina !

Thanks for the heads-up.

Announcements