cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Keeps Freezing!!

hilliamonk
Apprentice

I purchased my EOS R back in October of 2018 from a local camera shop. Up until recently, my EOS R had been working perfectly. Recently, I started having an issue where my EOS R will freeze while using the camera. I have had the issue multiple times, and the only way I am able to get the camera to work again is by removing the battery and waiting a few seconds before inserting it again. When the camera is frozen, none of the buttons will work, and the on/off switch will not turn off the camera. The camera has the latest firmware installed (1.2.0). I am also using the lens that came with the camera (24-105 f/4 RF). The lens also has the latest firmware installed (2.0.0). I have tried using multiple batteries (Canon brand) as well as multiple memory cards, with no luck.

25 REPLIES 25

1ncog
Apprentice
Camera worked flawless on firmware 1.2 but once I updated the freezing started. Anyone else can confirm they on higher firmware also?

I am having the problem with firmware 1.7. I am trying to isolate conditions when it happens. I do have a Sandisk extreme Ultra card 128. I do not  believe it is a buffer issue. Yesterday it happened after one or two shots after pulling it from my camera bag.  I didn't have to pull the battery. Simply turning it off/on did the trick but it happened again later on in the shoot. I did recently switch to the 128 card for it's faster speed but I might switch back to the Fuji card I was using and see if happens again. When it happens it is verry frustrating!

@Racer-X wrote:

I am having the problem with firmware 1.7. I am trying to isolate conditions when it happens. I do have a Sandisk extreme Ultra card 128. I do not  believe it is a buffer issue. Yesterday it happened after one or two shots after pulling it from my camera bag.  I didn't have to pull the battery. Simply turning it off/on did the trick but it happened again later on in the shoot. I did recently switch to the 128 card for it's faster speed but I might switch back to the Fuji card I was using and see if happens again. When it happens it is verry frustrating!

From whar you say, it almost certainly sounds like an issue with the SD card.  Did you format it prior to first use?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I try and do a format in the camera before each shoot. Thanks

@Racer-X wrote:
Yes, I try and do a format in the camera before each shoot. Thanks

"I do have a Sandisk extreme Ultra card 128."

I am not aware of a Sandisk memory card with that name.  Extreme Pro, Yes.  Extreme Ultra, negative.

A5110FFC-8E31-4F67-B5AA-9FCEECED638D.jpeg

Ok, for clarity I went back and checked, it is the Sandisk Extreme card 128gb 150 MB/S card.

@Racer-X wrote:

Ok, for clarity I went back and checked, it is the Sandisk Extreme card 128gb 150 MB/S card.

It sounds like it was a counterfeit card to me.  Do not buy from that vendor again.  Sometimes vendors buy merchandise for resale because it is cheap.  They can be totally unaware of the fact that their merchandise is counterfeit.

any resolution to this? have an EOS R that if i take more than 4 shots in sequence it will freeze, its not a buffer issue as i shoot the pictures slowly. Its not a SD card issue, have two different cards and both formated at low level. Tried all the various options other have tried in this positing and no resolution.

I get ERR123 code, which is not listed as an error code.

Did have the camera serviced by Canon in the 1st 3months as the board failed. Any formal response from Canon on this issue? the camera is now 3 years old, so out of warranty status, is there any option to getting this fixed at a low cost?

Peter
Authority
Authority
Low level format the card. Not just format it. If you are unsure if it is fake or not, benchmark it in computer.
I have sent you a PM about testing software and write/read speed for that card.

Racer-X
Apprentice
No real resolution to my issue. It happens sporadically so I haven’t been able to lock down the trigger. Mine isn’t a card issue either as I have tried several cards. Pulling the battery out and re-inserting clears the freze-up. I have not gotten an error code though. I have not sent it to Canon as I was hopeful to lock down a repeated sequence that would cause it to lock up.
Announcements