Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

EOS R Keeps Freezing!!

I purchased my EOS R back in October of 2018 from a local camera shop. Up until recently, my EOS R had been working perfectly. Recently, I started having an issue where my EOS R will freeze while using the camera. I have had the issue multiple times, and the only way I am able to get the camera to work again is by removing the battery and waiting a few seconds before inserting it again. When the camera is frozen, none of the buttons will work, and the on/off switch will not turn off the camera. The camera has the latest firmware installed (1.2.0). I am also using the lens that came with the camera (24-105 f/4 RF). The lens also has the latest firmware installed (2.0.0). I have tried using multiple batteries (Canon brand) as well as multiple memory cards, with no luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: EOS R Keeps Freezing!!

Did you reset the camera?

Are you using a micro card with adapter or a full size SD card?

Call Canon, it sounds like it needs service.

Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems to be a common issue with EOS R. One guy at Dpreview got this answer from Canon support:

"This could be a memory card issue if you are using the Ultra cards and shooting with HDR or Dual Pixel RAW enabled..."

He did have Ultra but he didn't use HDR or Dual Pixel Raw.

Another user:

"Used to have freezing issues until I upgraded to the newest firmware that came out a few months ago. Been solid since.

Edit: actually I changed to a Sony Tough card around the same time, when before I was using ultra cards, that could have been it too."

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just discovered the exact same problem by chance, kinda brand new body, original Canon batteries w/ battery grip, EF R 24-105, no matter what memory card. Showed up all the sudden, drove me nuts...

Checked and tried all kind of things, and hooray, seems I've found the cause: Disabled the automatic power off feature in the power saving options, problem seems to be gone.

Have indeed played around with settings in power saving options before problem came up, so this really seems to be linked.