cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Focus Point Always Moves on Touch

mikul
Contributor

The focus point on the EOS R moves whenever I touch anywhere on the touch screen when I am not looking through the viewfinder. This results in inadverent touches on the screen changing the focus point. I have Touch and Drag disabled, but it still moves. Movement method is set to relative, but it's moving to wherever I touch (absolute). The active area is top left, yet it moves whenever I touch anywhere on the screen. Focus method is one shot. Hitting the settings lock button still allows the focus point to move. What do I need to get this focus point to stay put?

9 REPLIES 9

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mikul,

You can disable the camera's touch controls using the Touch Control option on page 3 of your setup menu. This would prevent your screen from changing settings or AF point location inadvertently. It's here on page 385 of the user guide, and it may not be able to be adjusted in the automatic A+ mode but it should be fine to disable in P, Tv< Av or M.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300032123/07/eosr-ug8-en.pdf

That will work. Unfortuntely, it disabled all touch-screen controls. I'm just looking for a way to disable the changing of the focus point. Canon recognized that having touch and drag enabled by default could cause problems and allow a way to disable this functionality. Did they not do the same for touch when the screen is on?

@mikul wrote:

That will work. Unfortuntely, it disabled all touch-screen controls. I'm just looking for a way to disable the changing of the focus point. Canon recognized that having touch and drag enabled by default could cause problems and allow a way to disable this functionality. Did they not do the same for touch when the screen is on?

Use the Multi-Function Lock button.

57447E68-8394-49BC-96D3-FEBF7D83390E.jpeg

You toggle it ON/OFF when you want to either use the touch screen or to disable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Unfortunately, the lock button does not stop the touch screen from changing the focus point. It seems as though it should.

@mikul wrote:

Unfortunately, the lock button does not stop the touch screen from changing the focus point. It seems as though it should.

Did you program the button?  Notice the "Wrench 6" icon.  That's the menu screen where you program the button.

15370385-7070-48BE-81BF-52221FDD6196.jpeg

Do you see the little finger?  Check that one.

The lock button has not been reprogrammed. When I hit the button the screen says that the controls or settings are locked, but I can still change the focus point.

@mikul wrote:

The lock button has not been reprogrammed. When I hit the button the screen says that the controls or settings are locked, but I can still change the focus point.

That is not the behavior that I expected.  I suggest you contact Canon Support, dial 1-800-OK-CANON for US users.

sigurandi
Apprentice

This happens to me too and it's driving me bananas! I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the focal point where I want it. It's constantly moving depending on what the camera is seeing through the viewfinder. Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

eawittjr
Apprentice

Until Canon provides a firmware update to allow the selective turning off of the AF point by touch screen, I have just flipped the screen around.  I was at an event and because of the need to shoot quickly had not realized the AF point has disappeared and was in the top corner of the screen where my nose had hit it.  Ugh!!!

Announcements