cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Focal Point

pjscott51
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I've had my EOS R for a few weeks. Something that I don't like is the touch focal point.

I don't know how many times I've gone to shoot a picture and find the focal point somewhere other then in the center.

Is there away to turn off this touch screen option?

Thanks,

Paul

18 REPLIES 18

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi pjscott51,

Thanks for checking in with us!

Based on what you mentioned, I suggest that you go into the menu, navigate to the third wrench submenu, and disable TOUCH CONTROL.

Hope that helps.

Hi Nick,

I've tried that but that disables everything on the touch screen.

I use the focal point to prefocus on something then frame my shot. 

I have the cross keys setup so I can maneuver the focal point around manually but I just wish

Canon had made it possible to disable the touch focal point without disabeling then entire touch screen.

I appreciate your effort and post. Have a great day,

Paul

Why don't you just simply disable "Touch and Drag AF" in the AF menus?  You can also associate a button to enable the featrure, too, so that it is only active when you press the custom button.  It works sort of like BBF.

If you do not have a copy of the full User Manual, then you can download it from the same support screen for your camera as where you downloaded the software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddzzle,

I had already disabled touch and drag.

Thanks,

Paul

@pjscott51 wrote:

Hi Waddzzle,

Thanks,

Paul

Regardless of that, Waddizzle's suggestion of downloading the full user guide is an excellent one. I do not use or own an EOS R, but I know that there is a wealth of information in the full user guides that always seem to help in some other area when you encounter difficulties that seem to have no apparent solution. I have also been frequently surprised at the numbers of folks who spend a lot of money on cameras, but resist diving in to the full user guides. I don't know why that is, and I'm not suggesting you are in that camp, but many are. 

@pjscott51 wrote:

Hi Waddzzle,

Thanks,

Paul

I see.  Check your AF Point Selection mode, as well as your AF Operation Mode, One Shot or AI Servo.  You have not provided enough information to provide a meaningful response to your issue. 

I do not think there is anything wrong with your camera, as thousands and thousands of users do not suffer these issues, so I am boing toI suggest that you contact Canon Support, so they can walk you through your camera setup, and how to use it.

Waddizzle there isn't anything wrong with my camera. I had tried every mode there is to try before making my orginial post. I'm not sure what more information cound I have provided. I posted my question in hopes that someone had found away to disable touch focal point without disabling the entire touch screen. As for the canon manuals that Canon provides. They are decent but they don't have all the answers. If the manuals had have all the answers what would be the need for a forum?

Thanks,

Paul

@pjscott51 wrote:

Waddizzle there isn't anything wrong with my camera. 

As for the canon manuals that Canon provides. They are decent but they don't have all the answers. If the manuals had have all the answers what would be the need for a forum?

Thanks,

Paul

Exactly.  I do not think there is anything wrong with your camera, either.  Like I said above, I strongly advise you to contact Canon Support, so that they can walk you through it.

As for the canon manuals that Canon provides. They are decent but they don't have all the answers.

The downloadable user guide is not the abbreviated hard copy version that Canon provides with the camera. The full downloadable guide for the R is over 600 pages long. Most people who come here asking for help don't as much as glance at it. Best of luck to you. 

Announcements