Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

EOS R Date and Time won’t stay set?

Title says it all. This is a brand new camera. I’ve read on other models about an internal clock battery needing replaced. But I can’t find anything about it, where it’s located (if it has one?) and why it should need replacing in a new camera. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reputable Contributor

Re: EOS R Date and Time won’t stay set?

[ Edited ]
Starting around 2012, Canon stopped using user serviceable date/time/zone backup batteries in the EOS line. I have read that they now use a rechareable internal battery.  It it is supposed to keep time for up to 3 months with no battery in the camera.

The internal battery takes about 8 hours to fully charge enough to last 3 months. It is possible you have not left the battery installed long enough to fully charge the internal battery. Try leaving a fully charged battery in for a few hours and see if that fixes your problem.

If the problem persists even after the battery has been installed for a day or so, you may need to get it serviced. 
Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
New Contributor

Many kind thanks Mike!  That was the issue.  I had put in an older battery just to get the camera up and running for the first time.  I guess it might not have had adequate capacity to charge the internal battery.  Once I charged the new battery and left the camera on for a day, it seems to be holding the date and time perfectly.

Thanks again!

Tim

New Contributor

Select your neighborhood time zone, a date and time for your camera. This data will be written in the EXIF information of your photographs.