cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R - 1080p 10bit not possible?

Faciane2003
Apprentice

I have a EOS R and a Ninja Flame. 

Is the only way to record in 10-bit with a 1.7 crop via 4k?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Faciane2003
Apprentice

Update: Just got off the phone with Canon. They only offer 10-bit with the 4k 1.7 crop.

It made no sense to me or the Canon employee why the camera could do 4k at 10bit but not 1080p. Honestly, I don't even care about 4k as long as I can work in 1080, but apparently that is too hard to manufacture. I have used Sonys before and was really excited to make the switch to Canon. I updated my entire production pipepline (GPU, Monitor, HDMI external recorder) to work in 10bit and now they tell me the only way to do it is with a 1.7x crop. The employee said he would put in the request, but should not hold my breath for a firmware upgrade anytime soon.

I am more than frustrated at this outlandish disappointment.
I will probably return the camera and never use Canon again.

View solution in original post

Faciane2003
Apprentice

Update: Just got off the phone with Canon. They only offer 10-bit with the 4k 1.7 crop.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Faciane2003
Apprentice

It made no sense to me or the Canon employee why the camera could do 4k at 10bit but not 1080p. Honestly, I don't even care about 4k as long as I can work in 1080, but apparently that is too hard to manufacture. I have used Sonys before and was really excited to make the switch to Canon. I updated my entire production pipepline (GPU, Monitor, HDMI external recorder) to work in 10bit and now they tell me the only way to do it is with a 1.7x crop. The employee said he would put in the request, but should not hold my breath for a firmware upgrade anytime soon.

They probably think that 1080p is something used only for youtube and 10 bit is not really needed--stated another way, 10 bit is a superfluity on youtube.

In a way that makes sense---but it's really not their decision to make. Their job is not to decide for you, but to provide reasonable capabilities.

I love the look of the EOS R--but it really is irritating you can't record 10 bit in 1080p---it seems so arbitrary.

My guess it's an artificial firmware limitation intended to keep the EOS R from undermining sales of more expensive offerings.

Faciane2003
Apprentice

@Faciane2003 wrote:

It made no sense to me or the Canon employee why the camera could do 4k at 10bit but not 1080p. Honestly, I don't even care about 4k as long as I can work in 1080, but apparently that is too hard to manufacture. I have used Sonys before and was really excited to make the switch to Canon. I updated my entire production pipepline to work in 10bit and now they tell me the only way to do it is with a 1.7x crop. The employee said he would put in the request, but should not hold my breath for a firmware upgrade anytime soon.

Do you not see that you're blaming Canon for your failure to do sufficient research on the camera's capabilities before you bought it? And are you saying that you changed your entire workflow to incorporate a process you hadn't tested? That sounds crazy to me, but maybe I'm just not daring enough.

Maybe somebody who's reading this thread will now get a great deal on a refurbished Canon R.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You are correct. I was angry at myself. I updated the response.

Not sure why you sould be mad at yourself. 

I also saw the spec that it can shoot 4K 10 bit 422 to an atomos, the only natural thing is that yeah, it can do the same in HD at 1/4 the data.... WRONG!

Same with the new R5.. it can shot 8K RAW 4:2:2 to its own internal Cfast card... but little ole HD Raw? 4:2:2:? 10bit? NOPE! why?

Announcements