cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R 100-400 IS problem

KirkD
Contributor

The image stabilization in my Canon 100-400 Mark II L is running continuously as long as my EOS R is turned on. It should not be doing this. Previously, on my 6D, IS would only turn on when I depressed the shutter button half way and when I let go, it would turn off after a few seconds. On my new EOS R, it is on continuously, which will wear it out a lot faster. Is there a quick fix for this?

22 REPLIES 22

Yeah I get it. The great thing is the quality of the sensor. You can push the hell out of the ISO and still get high quality images with fast shutter speeds. Good luck with it and most of all have fun.

"I do know is that constant IS doesn't seem to be much of an issue as far as battery power."

I really don't think you have to worry about it at all.  Just enjoy it.  If it should fail because of not shutting off. its just a lens and can be repaired or replaced.  The Sun will still come up in the morning.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you have the EF 100-400mm L IS USM II there is a third position on the image stabilzation switch that turns the IS off EXCEPT during exposure. I am waiting for my 100-400mm to arrive. My understanding that turning this to position 3 also helps AF to operate faster. Just a thought.

Announcements