cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R 100-400 IS problem

KirkD
Contributor

The image stabilization in my Canon 100-400 Mark II L is running continuously as long as my EOS R is turned on. It should not be doing this. Previously, on my 6D, IS would only turn on when I depressed the shutter button half way and when I let go, it would turn off after a few seconds. On my new EOS R, it is on continuously, which will wear it out a lot faster. Is there a quick fix for this?

22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My EOS M3 exhibited the same default behavior, so I turned it off in the menus.  I think it was called “Continuous AF”.

Canon DSLRs, like your 6D have a similar setting, but it it disabled by default.  I am not sure why Canon designed the mirrored and mirrorless bodies this way.  Never really gave it much thought.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My "Continuous AF" was already turned off, but I played around this morning with it and enabled "power saving on" and the IS turns off after about 20 seconds after the shot. Not sure if that is the solution, though, but it is working for now.

"... but it is working for now."

I don't think so.  It might stop the IS but it is only doing so because your camera shuts off the power.  You need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@KirkD wrote:
My "Continuous AF" was already turned off, but I played around this morning with it and enabled "power saving on" and the IS turns off after about 20 seconds after the shot. Not sure if that is the solution, though, but it is working for now.

I think 20 seconds is a little too long, too.

I believe “Continuous AF” should have been the correct setting.  The “Power Saving” option turns off the LCD, and should not affect the AF system.  You may wish to check the Metering Timer, but the default is only 8 seconds.

Thank you for your input, and that Canon number. I'll turn continuous focus back on as well as power saving off, then see what happens. I may be calling Canon on Monday.

I just found out this is a problem with all my Canon IS lenses on the new EOS R. I've posted this as a new topic to avoid focusing only on the Canon 100-400 L Mk II.

@KirkD wrote:
I just found out this is a problem with all my Canon IS lenses on the new EOS R. I've posted this as a new topic to avoid focusing only on the Canon 100-400 L Mk II.

What shooting mode are you using?  If you are using AI Servo, then the behavior could be normal.  Also, be aware that instruction cautions when using an adapter.  You should always power down the camera when changing lenses, and even when switching the AF/MF switch on lenses.

Just tried it in several different modes. The IS switches off when I press the mode button to select modes, and then immediately fires up as soon as I have selected whatever mode I want. I normally shoot in AV mode.  I always power down my camera before switching lenses.

@KirkD wrote:

Just tried it in several different modes. The IS switches off when I press the mode button to select modes, and then immediately fires up as soon as I have selected whatever mode I want. I normally shoot in AV mode.  I always power down my camera before switching lenses.

Av is a shooting mode.  I asked about the AF focusing mode you are using:  AI Servo or One Shot.  

You have a one year warranty with the camera.  Before you can Canon, you need to better understand the camera.

I suggest that you spend a couple of weeks going though the full instruction manual, and familiarize yourself with the camera, all of its’ settings and features, and how they interact with one another.

Announcements