cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M6 Mark ii EF, EF-S image stab

Matthiew78
Contributor

Dear Canon,

an update is expected that will solve the problem with EF, EF-S IS lenses that the IS does not run until I push the shutter button to half press, and it stops after I release the shutter button?

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Matthiew78 wrote:

Dear Canon,

an update is expected that will solve the problem with EF, EF-S IS lenses that the IS does not run until I push the shutter button to half press, and it stops after I release the shutter button?

That is how a stills camera works.  If focuses when you press the shutter button.  Otherwise, it will be focusing continuously until the battery was depleted.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

???

AF is not the problem. After switching on M6, the IS works continuously in the lens. For example, Canon EF 70-200mm L IS USM is noisy and drains the battery with continuous image stabilization ... in photo mode, there is no need for the IS to go continuously. Just before exposure as with a DSLR...

Are you talking about video or taking still images (photos)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Photos...

Ok, I think you are saying that, with just turning on your camera (EOS M6), that the IS on the attached lens is actively doing something even when the camera is idle.  Is that correct?

On page 185 of the User Manual, it shows the symbol the denotes that IS is active when the shutter button is pressed halfway.  With just the camera sitting idle, is that icon/symbol showing up on your display?

If you're also using an EF-M lens, there appears to be a dedicated setting for those lenses (see page 84)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

M6 Mark II, and sorry my bad english...

So, a video of what is happening:

you can hear that when I turn it on, the IS works immediately, and when I turn it off, it turns off after a few seconds.

Continuous AF turned off, ONE SHOT AF

He does the same EF 70-200mm /F4 IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm /F2.8 USM, EF-S 18-55mm kit lens...

With the old DSLR (7D), all lenses work perfectly... if i enter the menu on the m6 mark ii, the IS will shut down, but as i close it, it will spin the gyroscope again ...

@Matthiew78 wrote:

M6 Mark II, and sorry my bad english...

So, a video of what is happening:

you can hear that when I turn it on, the IS works immediately, and when I turn it off, it turns off after a few seconds.

Continuous AF turned off, ONE SHOT AF

He does the same EF 70-200mm /F4 IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm /F2.8 USM, EF-S 18-55mm kit lens...

This is the default operating mode for the camera. As long as the camera is awake the IS is running. You can shorten the power off time and it can be made to shut down sooner.

M6 Mark II & EF IS lenses: Canon EOS M Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the reply ... but why can't I fix it with an update so it doesn't? If someone uses older EF, EF-S lenses with a rotating gyroscope, a lot of energy goes away with it. We also returned to the original post here ...

Announcements