cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Movie Files Wont open on computer

mordesigns
Apprentice

New to the EOS M50 used to have a different Canon Camera. I have movies recorded on my camera. I can play the files just fine from my camera. But then when I put the San Disk into my Mac computer (latest operating system) I can not play the videos. If I click on one file it is black then if I click on a second file it says quick time can not play. Then what is really odd is all the files just disappear from the San Disk all together after that error message. When I put it back in my camera they are all still there and working fine. 

I have gone through is cycle multiple times. Each time I have black footage then get the error message and then all the files disappear. 

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

@mordesigns wrote:

New to the EOS M50 used to have a different Canon Camera. I have movies recorded on my camera. I can play the files just fine from my camera. But then when I put the San Disk into my Mac computer (latest operating system) I can not play the videos.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what media player you are using on your Mac, but you might try VLC Media Player. It's free and open source.

Steve Thomas

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Have you tried to import with iMovie?

Another possiblity is that the "files" are actually packages and the video files are contained inside.  Let me explain...

When you insert your SD card into your Mac, what is the folder structure on the card?  Often times, you have to dig in a little to get at the actual media files.

For example, for an older Canon camcorder, there was a PRIVATE folder and within that, an AVCHD "file".  But this was actually a package (macOS treats certain types of folders as packages which look like just a single file).  So right-click (or Control-click) on AVCHD and select "Show Package Contents".  In this current example, that revealed other folders and another "file" named "BDMV".  Right-click on that to reveal yet another set of folders and files.  Finally, there was a STREAM folder with all the individual .MTS files representing the clips.

These particular .MTS files have opened up a-ok for me over the years.  Up to and including macOS 11 Big Sur.  I used the QuickTime Player application.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements