cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 - M50 Crashing APS-C sensor crashing

Lespylaz
Apprentice

Hi all,

I recently purchased the Canon M50 when it was on sale new from a local big box retailer. I have loved the camera's capabilities so far. I  put this camera to work as a content creation tool and also for live streams. The last couple days I have been running into issues with the device. Recently when using the device to record or take pictures the camera freezes and crashes. The LCD screen locks up and image turns Green or has lines appear through it. The camera then crashes and I have to hit the shutter button, turn the camera off or on, or remove the battery to get it functioning. This only occurs after recording/shooting for 5-10 minutes and is not due to overheating. Connecting the camera to live view via the canon EOS utility while also not recording yields the same crashing after a few minutes. The camera does not save any of the footage it is recording when it crashes. Wondering if anyone has seen this issue or knows of a way to fix it. I have listed my troubleshooting steps below, let me know thanks!

- Re-seated and cleaned the lens including contact points. Kit lens in use only ATM

- Let camera rest for 1 hour and attempted to record for ten minutes but crashes after 3-10 minutes. No overheating warning appears.

- Swapped batteries from canon official battery to 3rd party with same result.

- Formatted Storage card and reseated. Same result.

- Factory reset camera to default settings. Same result.

- Connected camera to AC coupler and attempted to record footage, still crashes

- Connected camera to live view mode but did not record anything. Still crashes

- Updated firmware to V1.0.3 still crashes

I have created a warranty case with Canon but would like to avoid sending it out if at all possible. Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide, thanks!

20200709_130518.jpg20200709_130518.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not good!

Yup, you did the right thing to start a service ticket with a Canon Repair Center.  Send it off.  The longer you wait to send it off, the longer it will be before you can use it again.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

xuanminh
Contributor

Hey there. I've been having the EXACT same issue for the last two days. I'm desperate because I have a few livestreams coming up. Did you find a fix  / cause for this?

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to update anyone who is following this. Firmware 1.1.0 doesn't seem to fix this issue and have found no other fixes. Sending out to Canon to repair also doesn't seem to help and now my M50 warranty is over. My M6 Mark ii doesn't have this issue at all when used in the exact same way. Suggest everyone sell there M50's and get a M6 or go with a Sony 😕

I'm sending in my M50 to Canon shortly, I'm assuming the image sensor is fried and needs replacing. Will let you know how it goes. 

Did anyone get a solution? I'm having exactly the same problem.

In situations like this the correct thing is to raise a service incident with Canon support.  Call 1-800-OK-CANON

[Phone number corrected.]

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The problem is irreversible. So it is necessary to change device unfortunately, I changed device and brand at the same time, I was too disgusted with this problem

Did anyone solve the problem?

Announcements