cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Freezing/Crashing randomly

Hayz
Contributor

Hey! Thanks for taking a look at my post.

I've been having this crashing or freezing issue with my EOS M50 camera whilst Livestreaming with it. (Image at end of post)

• I use a 22mm lens.
  • I have it connected via. USB to a PC to stop the camera from shutting off after 30 minutes using EOS Utility.
  • I also use a power adapter so I don't need to change the battery all the time.
  • I also use the HDMI out to a video capture device to capture the image from the camera's view. (Not record)

This issue occurs at completely random intervals. It can be 30 minutes, 2 hours or not happen at all for 6-8 hours.

Anyone have any idea as to whats going wrong here?

Thanks!

ENYgKcHWkAIP32R.jfif

38 REPLIES 38

Same issue, following to see if someone finds a fix.

I'm on an AC battery coupler and a 32GB SD card, just livestreaming via HDMI. 

Hello, did you manage to solve this problem?

Lespylaz
Apprentice

Anyon find anything to help with this issue? My M50 is out of warranty period so I am unsure if anything can be done to help this issue. Not sure what the cause is, no overheating sign appears, Time interval between freezing is no consistent and changing out power sources doesn't seem to help as well. 😕

Also updated to latest firmware and primarily using the EOS webcam utilitiy

Doowen
Apprentice

I know this Thead is a little Old But I have searched and searched and it seems a lot of people are having this issue and nobody has been able to fix it.
Im also having this issue and mine accurs just when switching to video mode. dont even have to press recod for this to happen.
some times it happens after 5min sometimes after 12 seconds.
If anyone has any solution to this would be greatly appreciated. 

Bad news, I finally sent the M50 in to an official repair shop, and they told me the sensor was fried. The repair through the shop would have cost almost as much as a new camera, so I decided not to do it. 

@Doowen

What's galling is I got maybe an hour of use out of this camera before it started exhibiting the behaviour, and apparently that's it, it's just a brick now? Last Canon I ever buy.

Well then at least you have a warranty. 

Mine had just gone out of warranty after 2 years, and many hours of use.... 

Sadly not. This problem transpired just prior to the pandemic, and it was due to be sent back for repair, but Canon then stated they wouldn't be accepting returns due to virus concerns. So the warranty is gone. Sorry Canon, you lost a repeat customer there.

Hello, what have you done since? Has the problem been resolved?

christomich94
Contributor

Exactly the same problem, I thought it was coming from the battery because I had several, but in the end: no difference
then I thought it was the heat, but no overheating icons or anything
then I thought it was the SD card but I don't think it's due to that
So now I'm wondering if I'm looking at another camera? Because I film myself long enough (2/3h max) and see that it delays me enormously every time I want to film myself, it starts to annoy me

Announcements