cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M5 with 430EXIII-RT Flash won't lock at 1/200 sync

kbdkbd
Contributor

Hi All,

New here on the Community and I have a new EOS M5 question.

I'm playing with the 430EXIII-RT flash on the M5 and can't get the flash to lock at 1/200sec.  IT will go right on past 200 as high as I want.  Never seen this before on other bodies I have.  Tried M/AV/TV modes.  It works fine with built in flash.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

6D, M5, T4i, T5, G12, lots of "L" and EF-S
4 REPLIES 4

kbdkbd
Contributor

Ok I think I found a bug in M5 FW 1.01 here's the situtaion:

1) In M or TV mode, using internal flash, the on screen display for shutter speed goes up to but STOPS at 1/200th - it won't go to 1/400th or higher

2) In M or TV mode with external flash, the on screen display for shutter speed doesn't stop at 1/200th it will allow you to select what you want up to 1/4000th

2a) Even though it lets you select higher then 1/200th, as soon as you half push the shutter it changes the screen to 1/200th until you release the shutter button then it re-displays what you had set e.g. 1/400th

2b) M5 will not capture the picture higher than 1/200th regardless if you set it higher

So yes indeed it does seem to be a bug (phenomenon) for Canon to look at.

@kbdkbd wrote:

1) In M or TV mode, using internal flash, the on screen display for shutter speed goes up to but STOPS at 1/200th - it won't go to 1/400th or higher

2) In M or TV mode with external flash, the on screen display for shutter speed doesn't stop at 1/200th it will allow you to select what you want up to 1/4000th

2a) Even though it lets you select higher then 1/200th, as soon as you half push the shutter it changes the screen to 1/200th until you release the shutter button then it re-displays what you had set e.g. 1/400th

2b) M5 will not capture the picture higher than 1/200th regardless if you set it higher

No, I think it's correct and fairly consistent.

1) The shutter speed stops at 1/200 (the "maximum sync speed") because the shutter opening will be a slit at any faster speed and the internal flash is incapable of "high-speed" flash (i.e., repeated flashes as the slit traverses the focal plane).

2) It lets you select a higher speed because the external flash may have a high-speed mode.

2a) But if the external flash doesn't indicate that it's using that mode, the camera reverts to 1/200 to take the picture for the reason cited in case 1).

2b) Without coöperation from the external flash, the camera can't go above the maximum sync speed and still use the flash.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kbdkbd wrote:

No, I think it's correct and fairly consistent.

1) The shutter speed stops at 1/200 (the "maximum sync speed") because the shutter opening will be a slit at any faster speed and the internal flash is incapable of "high-speed" flash (i.e., repeated flashes as the slit traverses the focal plane).

2) It lets you select a higher speed because the external flash may have a high-speed mode.

2a) But if the external flash doesn't indicate that it's using that mode, the camera reverts to 1/200 to take the picture for the reason cited in case 1).

2b) Without coöperation from the external flash, the camera can't go above the maximum sync speed and still use the flash.

Maybe its not a bug if this is consistant accross the EOS M Series, I have no other for comparison.

My only comparisons for the way the camera should function is my 6D and my T4i. These cameras will "limit" the shutter speed at their maximum flash sync speeds in M/TV modes at 180 for the 6D and 200 for the T4i when an external flash is connected.  They won't allow you to select anything higher unless HSS is selected on the flash.

I assumed that Canon tries to keep it fairly standard accross the board to make it easy for a photographer familiar with their products to pick any one of them and get the same look and feel.  For the most part this is true with the M5, except for this flash curiosity, oh and the lack of wired tethering capability which makes it nearly impossible to do macro photo stacking.

Seems to be only the M5 may be doing this.  Here is a thread from DPReview where people have been experimenting with current and older Canon flashes and older M bodies and confirming this to be an anomoly with the M5.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4165079

Announcements