Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

[ Edited ]

I have ordered M5 together with EF-M 20/2 and EF-M 15-45. My thought is to travel light. I wish Canon makes more small M-lenses.

Japanese Canon has a list of lenses with focus problem together with EOS M, but I think M5 and the dual pixel will work out. If my thinking is right I will never need to calibrate my 85/1,8 or my 50/1,4 together with the M5. If you can wait, I can tell you after I get it in about two or three weeks.

DCS 3c, DCS 520, D30, D60, 1Ds, 300D, 30D, 1000D IR, 7D, 6D, 6D, M5
15-45/3.5-6.3 IS, 16-35/4 IS, 22/2, 24/1.4 II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 70-200/2.8 IS II, 300/2.8 IS
Highlighted
VIP

"...expensive disposable cameras, if you ask me...."

Exactly!   It isn't a Powershot and it isn't an SLR, is it?

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hmmmm, I kind of agree. But even the big 1D's have 'point and shoot' modes. Now THAT is an expensive 'P&S'.  Likewise, the M's and other cameras have manual modes. Bit swings and roundabouts I guess and eventually coming down to personal choice.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Please do let me know how you get on.

Highlighted
VIP

@Peter wrote:

Japanese Canon has a list of lenses with focus problem together with EOS M, but I think M5 and the dual pixel will work out. If my thinking is right I will never need to calibrate my 85/1,8 or my 50/1,4 together with the M5. If you can wait, I can tell you after I get it in about two or three weeks.

Peter, I wish I could read what is being listed at your link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

TheRogue,

"But even the big 1D's have 'point and shoot' modes."

Touche mon ami.  They do have a "P" mode but they don't and never did have an "A" mode.  There is a difference.

"I guess and eventually coming down to personal choice."

It does and the fact remains, there are better choices.  I considered the M5, myself, when it first came out.  But its role would have been to replace my G15 and G1x.  Both real P&S's.  Not as a work horse camera. To each his own, though.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I concur - But honestly, surely you're just arguing the definition of point and shoot. I know I have used P mode on a 1D and bsically pointed it and shot! But anyway - 'there are better choices' thats surely just contradicting your ariginal agreement with the notion of personal choice?

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"...contradicting your ariginal agreement with the notion of personal choice?"

Not all. I give opinions on my personal experience and requirements.  Whatever the OP or anybody does is totally up to them.  I am sure there are folks that are crazy about their M5 as were the M3 owners.  Personal choice and other's choices can be and are likely different from mine.  I come from a career photography background.  Where your camera made your living.  Most if not all the regulars posters here are hobbyists or amateurs.  I freely admit this puts a prejudice on my opinions.

If I don't own it or don't use it or have never used it, I try to not comment.  I was and I am in a unique situation where I got to use a lot of photo gear over the years.

Highlighted
VIP

BTW, "A" and "P" are not the same thing.  Even though you can P&S.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hmm yes I did already agree that but mentioned that we were just defining point and shoot. I mean Canon don't call it point and shoot mode doe they. Automatic and Programme either can be used for point and shoot, to a degree. No?