cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

Peter wrote:

My room with three spotlights turned on. The place looks similar to the left one http://media1.linabythebay.se/2014/12/styling-apartment4.jpg . I used 1/40 sec, f2,8 and ISO 3200 to get a good exposure with my 7D.

Which is the good one? Not the "After" picture, surely, with those blown highlights.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Peter wrote:

My room with three spotlights turned on. The place looks similar to the left one http://media1.linabythebay.se/2014/12/styling-apartment4.jpg . I used 1/40 sec, f2,8 and ISO 3200 to get a good exposure with my 7D.

Which is the good one? Not the "After" picture, surely, with those blown highlights.

You missunderstand. Not my room, not M5 and no flash used. It was an answer about the 7D and the "can't take 8 f/s when you don't point the camera at something white".

@Peter wrote:

It was an answer about the 7D and the "can't take 8 f/s when you don't point the camera at something white".

OMG, the 7D can't shoot 8 fps when you are taking a picture of NOTHING but a white wall. I demand an immediate refund, despite of over 5 years and thousands of successful sports and wildlife photos. Now that I know it can't shoot a white wall at 8 fps, it is clear to me that the camera is worthless and I want my money back!

@TTMartin wrote:

@Peter wrote:

It was an answer about the 7D and the "can't take 8 f/s when you don't point the camera at something white".

OMG, the 7D can't shoot 8 fps when you are taking a picture of NOTHING but a white wall. I demand an immediate refund, despite of over 5 years and thousands of successful sports and wildlife photos. Now that I know it can't shoot a white wall at 8 fps, it is clear to me that the camera is worthless and I want my money back!

Not interest in how your camera works?

Same thing as before with the flash, but now without the flash. Found it yesterday when I in moonlight took pictures of wind turbines. I used manual settings and manual focus. 2 seconds selftimer. To press the shutter release button also took 2 seconds before anything happend. I tried at home 5 minutes ago in daylight. No delay. With lens cap on, 1-2 seconds delay.

Of the ones I have tried I think that is 'normal' for them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I suppose it is "normal" for M5.

Anyway, I did a photo job today together with my M5. My Odin flash trigger worked well with the camera. Face tracking with my 50/1,4 worked very well. I only needed to compose and wait for the autofocus to find a face.

Cool!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Peter wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Peter wrote:

You missunderstand. Not my room, not M5 and no flash used. It was an answer about the 7D and the "can't take 8 f/s when you don't point the camera at something white".

I guess I do misunderstand. Are you saying that the post I responded to referred to a different thread? No matter; maybe I'm just having a senior moment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you are looking for an M5 to be your workhorse, you might want to have a very limited and small amount of work coming up. Look, the term 'workhorse' has been thrown around a bit in this thread and I have no idea why some would espouse an entry level body would be specified for such use. I use an M5 along side the 5 series bodies for a compact travel camera. 90% of it's use is with native glass and once in a blue moon I put some L lenses on, primarily the 100L macro because I'm using the 5-10x magnification on a tripod with peaking. The M5 has exceeded my expectations, especially after trying out the Oly Pen F system for a year for travel and being very disappointed in the noise levels above 3200 and the convoluted menu systems. You have to be realistic about the capabilities and limitations for anything. It's a fine camera, not a do it all and certainly not something for specialty uses but very good all around.
Announcements