cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
All cameras have pluses and negatives. Size, weight, and cost may be bigger factors for other people then they are for you. To say the EOS M5 is a negative or bad camera ignores that, and exposes a very narrow point of view.

"To say the EOS M5 is a negative or bad camera ignores that ..."

It does not ignore what is available from the competition, does it? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"To say the EOS M5 is a negative or bad camera ignores that ..."

It does not ignore what is available from the competition, does it? 

The M-5 can use any of Canon's EF and EF-S lenses. You've often said that the lens is the most important thing and that Canon's lenses are second to none. What are we missing here?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RTF,

"You've often said that the lens is the most important thing and that Canon's lenses are second to none."

Correct on both points, Robert.  But you have to admit the better the platform the better the lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Got my M5 two days ago. I played around with it yesterday at Christmas eve. Some thoughts:

• Together with a 70-200 it feels like the camera will break if you only hold on to the camera and not to the lens. All weight on my left arm. The AF works great, but I have only tried the AF tracking with some birds yet.
  • I still don´t know if I would like to have a joystick instead. Think I need to get used to the touch screen. It is easier than the touch pad on my 6D, but harder than my joystick on my 7D. I haven´t tried with gloves or in rain.
  • Works great with lenses as 50/1,4 and 85/1,8. Never again minor AF variance. Shooting portraits with fast lenses I would rather use the M5 than 80D because of that.
  • Works great with my manual m42 lens Helios 58/2.
  • I am normally using my left eye, but with this camera I need to use the right eye. Something I got used to with my X100 before. Try it in a camera shop and you will know. Not an big issue for me.
  • Face tracking is great.
  • I would like to have the battery time in procent, same as my 7D and 6D.
  • I miss the function of whole ISO stops. I don´t want to use ISO 125, 250, 500, 1000 (if Canon hasn´t done something new with the sensors in 1DX II, 5D IV, 80D and M5)

I would say that the camera is good for traveling light and easy with som primes.

A bug with the new M5. 1-3 seconds delay when using flash in manual mode and manual focus.

@Peter wrote:

A bug with the new M5. 1-3 seconds delay when using flash in manual mode and manual focus.

Could you have possibly turned the self-timer on accidentally? Or be using 2nd-curtain sync at a low shutter speed?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

First reported at dpreview, confirmed by Canon Germany and tried out by myself today.

Edit: I forgot to mention an important thing. It is only true in dark environment. Real life situations could be flash photographing in a dark forest or photographing fencers (search for fencing photos).

Canon 7D has a similar problem in dark environment and manual mode when the camera no longer can shoot 8 f/s but goes down to 4 f/s.

@Peter wrote:

First reported at dpreview, confirmed by Canon Germany and tried out by myself today.

Edit: I forgot to mention an important thing. It is only true in dark environment. Real life situations could be flash photographing in a dark forest or photographing fencers (search for fencing photos).

Canon 7D has a similar problem in dark environment and manual mode when the camera no longer can shoot 8 f/s but goes down to 4 f/s.

I don't know about the M5, but, I do know with the 7D it must be far darker than you would ever photograph in any conceivable situation, unless you're into photographing the inside of your lens cap. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Peter wrote:

I don't know about the M5, but, I do know with the 7D it must be far darker than you would ever photograph in any conceivable situation, unless you're into photographing the inside of your lens cap. 

My room with three spotlights turned on. The place looks similar to the left one http://media1.linabythebay.se/2014/12/styling-apartment4.jpg . I used 1/40 sec, f2,8 and ISO 3200 to get a good exposure with my 7D.

Announcements